Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Orlando area retail nurseries/garden centers?

Posted by gardenbear49 FL z9b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 15:24

Hi all. Will be moving to Poinciana (southwest of Orlando) soon and would like opinions of the best nurseries and garden centers in the Orlando area. Am especially interested in Florida friendly and unusual plants one doesn't find in the big box stores. Of course, always on the lookout for the every day goodies too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Orlando area retail nurseries/garden centers?

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 18:49

If you are looking for native plants at affordable prices Biosphere is a good place to go.
Lukas nursery if you want unusual plants.
Knox nursery if you are interested in mostly flats of annuals.
Blodgett and Apenberry are closed by and you can go to both in the area.
Maybe someone else have more recommendations.

Silvia

o

Thanks so much for the garden center leads! I am a garden center/nursery junkie and love to check them out... even on vacation, esp. CA ones. Any other suggestions???

o

Glad to welcome another gardener to the area. I am in St. Cloud. The Osceola Master Gardeners are having a fall plant sale Sept. 28 & 29 at the Extension Office, between Kissimmee & St. Cloud. There are always unusual & native plants there & the prices are the best. The new Master Gardener classes start Sept. 11. We would love to have you join us for these.

o

what about farmer's markets and flea markets that sell plants. Thank you for your help

o

Thanks for the master gardener info Happy Girl! I took the Master Gardener class in Brevard a few years ago and loved it.
The extension was a wonderful resource.
Even tho we have purchased a lot in Solivita already, the house won't be completed til next spring/summer. So the landscaping will have to wait a bit. If I sell here first, will have to move into an appt. here temporarily. But am already doing my homework! Can't wait to landscape. I know the winters there are a tad cooler than Melbourne, so some of the things I love might not do well out there..??

o

Small, family run GC. Really nice people!
http://palmersgarden.com/

o

Thanks Chellamaral. Sounds like we'll have to make the rounds of these places. They mostly seem to be in northern metro Orlando though!!

o

I like Palmer's and Blodgett's as well, I also made a little trip to Biosphere yesterday, I really enjoyed looking around at their wildflowers and other things that I have never seen before, their prices were great too.

o

I enjoy shopping at Lukas for the great service but they are pretty pricey (tho you get a free bag of soil with most purchases) and lately the plants I've wanted they've been out of. My newest favorite place to drop in to is South Seminole Farm and Nursery, located in Casselberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: South Seminole Farm and Nursery.

o

Thanks Ellusionz and Leahreneel, will check out that South Seminole too! Had our design meeting this past Friday... now can't wait to get the house built and us into it so we can get gardening!

o

We are in Indian Harbour Beach on the Space Coast, but if you are ever over on the beachside, check out Exotica Tropicals. Lots of cool "jungle style" plants you won't find in the big box stores or your average nursery.

Heliconia, Gingers, Big Alocasias, Aroids, etc

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ExoticaTropicals.com

o

Thanks Exoticatropicals! I'm not far from you, still in Melbourne til next yr when the house will be finished. I'll have to check you out before I move.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here