Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbear49

Best Orlando area retail nurseries/garden centers?

gardenbear49
11 years ago

Hi all. Will be moving to Poinciana (southwest of Orlando) soon and would like opinions of the best nurseries and garden centers in the Orlando area. Am especially interested in Florida friendly and unusual plants one doesn't find in the big box stores. Of course, always on the lookout for the every day goodies too!

Comments (16)

• whgille
    11 years ago

If you are looking for native plants at affordable prices Biosphere is a good place to go.
    Lukas nursery if you want unusual plants.
    Knox nursery if you are interested in mostly flats of annuals.
    Blodgett and Apenberry are closed by and you can go to both in the area.
    Maybe someone else have more recommendations.

Silvia

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the garden center leads! I am a garden center/nursery junkie and love to check them out... even on vacation, esp. CA ones. Any other suggestions???

• happy_girl
    11 years ago

Glad to welcome another gardener to the area. I am in St. Cloud. The Osceola Master Gardeners are having a fall plant sale Sept. 28 & 29 at the Extension Office, between Kissimmee & St. Cloud. There are always unusual & native plants there & the prices are the best. The new Master Gardener classes start Sept. 11. We would love to have you join us for these.

• divahethr
    11 years ago

what about farmer's markets and flea markets that sell plants. Thank you for your help

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the master gardener info Happy Girl! I took the Master Gardener class in Brevard a few years ago and loved it.
    The extension was a wonderful resource.
    Even tho we have purchased a lot in Solivita already, the house won't be completed til next spring/summer. So the landscaping will have to wait a bit. If I sell here first, will have to move into an appt. here temporarily. But am already doing my homework! Can't wait to landscape. I know the winters there are a tad cooler than Melbourne, so some of the things I love might not do well out there..??

• chellamaral
    11 years ago

Small, family run GC. Really nice people!
    http://palmersgarden.com/

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chellamaral. Sounds like we'll have to make the rounds of these places. They mostly seem to be in northern metro Orlando though!!

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

I like Palmer's and Blodgett's as well, I also made a little trip to Biosphere yesterday, I really enjoyed looking around at their wildflowers and other things that I have never seen before, their prices were great too.

• ellusionz
    11 years ago

I enjoy shopping at Lukas for the great service but they are pretty pricey (tho you get a free bag of soil with most purchases) and lately the plants I've wanted they've been out of. My newest favorite place to drop in to is South Seminole Farm and Nursery, located in Casselberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: South Seminole Farm and Nursery.

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellusionz and Leahreneel, will check out that South Seminole too! Had our design meeting this past Friday... now can't wait to get the house built and us into it so we can get gardening!

• exoticatropicals
    11 years ago

We are in Indian Harbour Beach on the Space Coast, but if you are ever over on the beachside, check out Exotica Tropicals. Lots of cool "jungle style" plants you won't find in the big box stores or your average nursery.

Heliconia, Gingers, Big Alocasias, Aroids, etc

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ExoticaTropicals.com

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Exoticatropicals! I'm not far from you, still in Melbourne til next yr when the house will be finished. I'll have to check you out before I move.

• rhondafernandez
    8 years ago

I live in saint cloud and need to buy some plants that will live in a little bit of water and also stay alive in mud for a low laying area behind my house-- thinking maybe Cenna or pickerel weed that both flowers-- looking for a nursey with plants that grow in water--- any help out there on ideas?

• PRO
    Central Florida Fine Interiors
    8 years ago

Bull Bay Nursery is in St. Cloud, it is not a garden center 407-891-6448 rhondafernandez

• Tom
    8 years ago

Ronda, Biosphere has those kind of plants. I was there today and they had a hibiscus that only grows in swampy areas. They have a number of other plants that grow in water or in muddy areas.

• enjay2014
    8 years ago

I will be driving down to Orlando this spring. I need help looking for a garden center that sells Eagleston holly standard one thats big enough to fit in a mini van. i need 3 of these so hopefully 1 to 3 gallon sizes would be perfect. Thanks if anybody can help. I just love this holly & there doesnt seem much of it being sold mail order.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus