Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steveb3

Humming birds

steveb3
10 years ago

Filled my feeders up Thursday after seeing one in the yard. Then Friday almost like clock work every 2 hours, then Saturday it had to be at least 2 as one was showing up every 20 to 30 minutes. Then Sunday it rained and I have not seen one all day Sunday or today-Monday. Do you think they were traveling thru and just had to fill up their tanks. Do we have year round hummers here ?

Comments (9)

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I usually have hummingbirds in my garden starting as soon as the flowers in the front garden start blooming until the first frost knocks everything back.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

My mother loves hummingbirds but her feeder had not seen much action this year. About three weeks ago, I planted two big Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' plants in her two back patio half-barrel planters. The hummingbirds arrived the moment I set the plants down - before I even got them planted! And they have been at her new plants and her feeder ever since. She is so happy. :)

Today I planted three rooted cuttings of Blue Boy, Blue Glory, Clock Vine (Thunbergia battiscombei) around the edge of each planter. I think they are going to be beautiful when those fill in. And once again, Mom is thrilled to have these filled with perennials. She has been planting annuals in them for years and years.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Thunbergia battiscombei

• kayjones
    10 years ago

My feeders have seen no action this spring/summer. I had one winter over in my yard, but he left this spring.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

I don't have them year round but do have them from March through about November. They are very active now, at least 3-4 at any given time in my hummingbird garden.

• Tom
    10 years ago

Yes, there are some in Florida all year, but not in all places. As a large generalization North Florida sees the migration of Ruby-throateds hummingbirds starting in early March and ending in October. South Florida will see over-wintering Ruby-throateds in the winter months, but also see some in the summer.

There are other types of hummers that visit in the late fall, winter and early spring. The most common are Rufous and Black-chinned.

I am in the Orlando area and I get the normal migration in spring, but I also get over-wintering Ruby-throateds in winter months if there isn't a freeze and I get some Rufous in the late fall, winter and early spring usually.

Areas just south of me, such as Lakeland, tend not to get many of the migration in spring and fall, but do get quite a few in the winter months.

• steveb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems I need to plant some hum friendly plants
    Thanks for the feedback
    Steve

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

I have year round different species.
    Steve, they love Black and Blue salvia, firebush, pentas...at least mine do!
    Hester

• morningloree
    10 years ago

They like Dwarf Poinciana, I have one outside the kitchen door and it is quite a treat to see them buzz by.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I have no feeders but I have at least one visiting in the morning and again in the evening. It makes its rounds from bed to bed drinking mostly from my Tropical Salvia, but also hitting the Firebushes infrequently. This is a recent newcomer to my yard. Aside from hearing a 'hummmmm' last fall shortly after planting my first firebush, I have not actually seen hummingbirds in my yard until this one showed up about two weeks ago.