Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a seed pod on my desert rose!!!

Posted by yumtomatoes 10b/FLA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 15:27

Never had one before. I read that I need to wire it shut or encase it in pantyhose to prevent the seeds from flying away. The seed pod is only about 1 week old. How long before it is ripe?

I think this one self-pollinated since it is not by any other desert roses. Anyone else have a seed pod on their desert rose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a seed pod on my desert rose!!!

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 18:15

Supposedly it's almost impossible for them to self pollinate. Do you have any others nearby?

I crossed two plants two years ago and the plant I crossed has produced pods on its own since then. Then this year to my surprise an adjacent plant started throwing off pods :-) You can cover the pods with a stocking but I find it easier to just watch them and when you see the first little bit of midline pod splitting cut them off and bring them inside to open, but be careful NOT to leave them somewhere where an AC vent is blowing or they'll be all over your house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's my old link when I learned how to cross them.

And finally, a booty picture from last year.

Photobucket

Tom

o

Thanks for the pics Tom. I also have my first seed pod this year (new plant - the ten year old and five year old have never had pods).

Good to know what's inside.

Did you have any luck when you planted them?

Terri

o

Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 19:46

Did you have any luck when you planted them?

If you're talking about the germination rate of the seeds it was 70-80%, I got so tired of giving babies away I quit growing them and gave away tons of seeds at Silvia's and Lori's last swaps, and to Sally and others that had an interest, and still have a hundred seeds left from last year. Judging from these pods that are not opened yet I'd say I'll have another 300-400 seeds this year if anyone wants to try a few.

Tom

o

Tom - my seed pod is red. Does that mean it is getting ripe? I swear I didn't notice it until a week ago, but maybe it has been there longer?

The desert rose was not near another one but there are 2 others out back, just not close to each other. The one was grown from cuttings from the same parent as the one with the seed pod. Could that one have pollinated it? They are identical plants.

There is another one that is a different plant that is quite a bit farther away from the one with the seed pod.

Thanks for the pics and the link!

o

Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 7:30

Mine do turn more reddish as they get closer to opening but can still take quite a while to open.

Physiologically they're not supposed to be able to self pollinate. My guess is that a butterfly or moth crossed them.

Don't be surprised if the first few pods only have a few seeds in them, if you get a lot be happy.

Tom

o

I've heard that they are in the plumeria family? On a plumeria it take about 9 months for the seed pod to develop. Have fun with your new babies!

o

I just wrapped mine with wire in case I am not around when the pods split. I have other desert roses out front that have beautiful flowers and I would like to graft scions from them onto a seedling. I was planning on buying a seedling for this purpose but now I don't have to.

What did the flowers look like on your seedlings? Any nice ones? The problem I have had when I have purchased seedlings is that the flowers are inferior to the named varieties grown from cuttings or grafted onto seedlings.

I will keep you posted on my progress!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 13:54

Just want to report that the seeds Tom gave me are up and doing well, almost ready to pot-out into regular pots and get from under the light.... Thanks again Tom, sally

o

Tom what varieties are you growing I used to have 10 but lost 7 last winter (my fault should have protected them better) I have 'sun of star' 'black warrior' and 'apollo' oh and the common one. Do you know any good place to get seeds of uncommon ones?

Katie

o

Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 14:20

My pleasure Sally, enjoy.

Katie, mine are all NOIDs, I don't even know what the flowers are going to look like since I crossed a red and pink...I've only kept a dozen for myself and they are only 5-6" and have not produced flowers yet. Seems there was some place out west that was reputable, but I don't remember the name, someone over on the Cacti & Succulents forum would be able to tell you.

Tom

o

Thanks Tom I did post over there I cant remember what star of sun was to look like but apollo is white and black warrior a deep red too small to bloom yet if I ever get pods I will send you some seeds. I would also love to get some of the doubles I just love these plants and really want to get a collection growing, sick about losing the others.

Katie

o

Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 17:50

Katie, in my experience adenium and plumeria can be fickle, I've learned the hard way that exotics frequently bite to bullet quickly in our environment, best to grow what you see thriving in the neighborhood ;-)

I was busy this weekend potting up tomatoes, making veggie ID tags and scrubbing buckets getting ready for the September veggie set, almost missed these pods opening today...in two or three hours their wings will open and if I'm not careful they'll be all over the house :-)

Tom

Photobucket

o

Nice will be interesting to see your eventual flowers

Katie

o

Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 17:24

Anybody want to try some seeds, I'll pull the wings off and mail them to you in a regular envelop. They're very easy to germinate, just press them into the soil and dust over so you barely can't see them. Then in 7-10 days you'll have babies....Then keep them in a well drained soil in the shade while young and they will thrive!

Tom

o

I would love some seeds if you have any left. I have a bit of a addiction to the " bonsi" type plants.

o

Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 17:28

Hi Tanya, CYE.

Tom

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

thanks for the pics, tom. I thought my seed pod was rotting, but now looking at your pics, I realize it is just maturing. Can't wait to get my little babies out!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 stpete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 16:53

Well Tom, sad to say, but the 8 little plants that I thought were doing so well have succumbed to root-rot, they were out on the porch and the rain blew in and I didn't notice until too late, I've pulled them back to try to dry them out, but the caudexs are soft and I don't have much hope for them now....... I've started 6 more of the seeds you gave me at the Swap, and hope they do better., it is the end of what you gave me..... if you do have any seeds left I'd love to have some more, especially if they are a different color ? I'm glad to swap you for stuff from the garden, how abt. some sweet-'taters ? I'm over-run w/sweets..... LOL.... sally

o

Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 19:03

Hi Sally, I only have a few hundred seeds left ;-), tell me how many you want and I'll pull the wings off them and mail them to you. These babies do well outside after germination, but sheltered from too much sun or too much water while small, which is about the first five years.

Tom

o

I would love to try my hand at desert rose if you have any left Tom! Let me know!

o

I'd love some too Tom. Is this the only way to propagate the desert rose. Can it also be done by cuttings?
Thanks
Nancy

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 16:59

Just want to tell you-all, the 6 seeds I planted 8-25 are all up !! how about that !! I'll plant any that Tom sends and take them to the next Swap.... someone asked abt. where to get them, there is a Grower on the east coast sells them on-line, he has 25-30 rare varieties he gets from the Orient and they are doubles and yellows, etc, quite a selection, but he charges $25. for 2 (two) seeds !!! sally

o

Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 19:04

Hi Folks,

I have plenty, just tell me how many you want, 20 or 30, and provide your mailing info...My Page.

Tom

o
Seedlings and a caudex

Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 19:15

I'd love some too Tom. Is this the only way to propagate the desert rose. Can it also be done by cuttings?

Sorry I didn't respond Nancy, glazed over your question. They are easy to grow from cuttings but won't have a nice fat caudex, that old bonsai looking FAT trunk, which at the very least takes a minimum of 7-8 years to develop, but I think is worth it....

Tom

o

The nice thing about propagating from cuttings is the flowers - you will get the same flower as the parent. When you grow from seed, unless the flower self-pollinated, which is very rare, you will have a cross and given the genetic diversity of adenium obesum, the flowers are unlikely to look like the parents and are usually inferior to the named varieties.

My desert rose with the seed pod on it was grown from a cutting. There are only 2 desert roses near it, although not that near, and one was grown from a cutting of the same parent.

o

Hey Tom,I would love to try some of those seeds What do you need for postage or trade??
send me an email so I can get postage out to ya.
Thanx

o
i think i have a seedpod growing.

Not sure, but i think i have a seedpod growing. I dont have any other plants. how long does it take for the pod to fully mature?

o

yep, that's a seed pod. I will have to search to see how long it took mine to mature.

o
Look at my baby!!!! She's RED!!!!!!

First bloom. She is beautiful!

o

Here is a link to my other thread if anyone wants a time frame for how long this took me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Other Thread

o

I just bought my first desert rose plant from a local nursery in late July. None of their plants had blooms on them when I bought mine and mine still doesn't have any. When can I expect blooms?

I have it in a pot on my deck in soil made for cactus, succulents, and other plants needed good drainage. It's in full sun until about 5 in the afternoon.

o

I grew that one from seed, from my other thread it was a seedling mid-October so less than a year old mine bloomed.

o

The desert rose is new to me.. I have seed pods coming up on mine and there is no other plants around.. Will they flower when I plant the seeds?

o
Yellowing leafs

What am I doing wrong ..my leaves are turning yellow with browning tips ! Help ...

o

Delight there is an Adenium Forum on Garden Web. Best help known.

o

Delight907, welcome to GardenWeb!

Yes, Ilovetogrow, is right - the Adenium Forum (Desert Rose Forum) is a fairly new forum - and a very, very active one with lots of helpful, experienced adenium lovers. I put a link to it below to help you. I know things can be confusing when you are new. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium Forum

o

I have 2 seed pods on my desert rose and I have no others in my yard or neighborhood. This is its second winter with me and the only one I have been able to keep alive! I am so happy.....Thank you for showing pictures of what I can expect from the seeds. looking forward with anticipation to see if I can get her seeds to grow.

o

• Posted by Popke 10 Seminole, FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:43

I have a bunch of seed pods on mine and they have been there for a while. One of them looks like the pod is starting to die. Is this normal?

o

Popke
Pictures help to determine the issue but I think the sequence is green, reddish, brownish they pop and the seeds are inside there is an adenium forum on GW look above for the link on another post.

o

• Posted by Popke 10 Seminole, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 20:02

Thank you sandnsea! I read around and that is what made me think this one didn't look right. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here