Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

I have a seed pod on my desert rose!!!

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

Never had one before. I read that I need to wire it shut or encase it in pantyhose to prevent the seeds from flying away. The seed pod is only about 1 week old. How long before it is ripe?

I think this one self-pollinated since it is not by any other desert roses. Anyone else have a seed pod on their desert rose?

Comments (123)

• Dianne Lutz
    7 years ago

Where is everyone from? I'm in Queensland Australia. Won't be able to swap seeds from other countries. I have my first pod and wanting to purchase seeds from eBay to boost my collection. Does anyone do bonsai in Desert Rose?

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

@Dianne Lutz, there is an adenium forum here that you might want to check out.

• kmbruno418
    7 years ago

How long will the seeds stay viable?

• gcaron8
    7 years ago

My Dessert Roses were root bound so I repotted them and in 3 wks they were bursting with blooms. I just happen to have them side by side and voila! I have 2 pods on the pink one (can't see them in pics.) Thrilled with this Forum to guide me on growing from seeds! I shared a couple of my Pulmerias which are gorgeous this summer!

• Susana (Florida USA - 9a)
    7 years ago

WOW just love your rainbow plumerias. What scent does she have?

• summerbreeeze56
    7 years ago

I was shocked to find a large X shaped pods on my Desert Rose. Have been very excited since finding out that they hold seeds. I have also been told that the Plumerias plants if anyone has them ( I have a white one and a yellow/pink one) can and will cross pollinate Desert Roses'. I just wired my pods and am so excited to see what comes from these seeds.

• mikey06516
    7 years ago

my dessert rose and flamboyant bonsai. Just got my first seed pod after having my dessert rose reported at bonsai shop. Fertilized with water soluble 20 20 20, and watered daily to every other day while outside, and it bloomed like crazy. They are so beautiful. Have since brought them inside as it is beginning to cool down here in CT.

• Shawna Burwell
    7 years ago

Hey my aunt has this plant and it's popped open, hair looking bug thing which I'm guessing is the seed what does she Do now?!

• Shawna Burwell
    7 years ago

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

You place the seed on some seed starting mix or vermiculite, and cover only the seeds very lightly (about 1/4 inch of soil) and leave the fluffy ends out. If the fluffy ends fall off, just make sure not to cover the seed too deep. Water from the bottom, keeping the soil moist but never wet. It takes a few weeks for them to sprout, and a couple of years for them to bloom. You never know what you'll get. You can get pink, red, white or the regular one with dark pink edges.

• Margarette Pearce
    7 years ago

Anyone has yellow?

• butch192542360
    7 years ago

how long does the adenium seed last,? a week,? a month,? how long,? tnx

• kimivu
    7 years ago

Hello there, my two desert roses died over this winter. I left them out too early and the unsexpected frost killed them. I'm hoping someone here would send me some cuttings or seeds.

• Prashant Kolekar
    6 years ago

It's growing

• priscillalovesbuddy_pm
    6 years ago

My desert rose recently got two seed pods!!! I'm so happyyyy. I'm about to tie them up so that they don't burst

• Pea
    6 years ago

The only time my desert rose made pods was when i had a batch of feral kittens sleeping in the planter at night on my back porch...maybe it was the extra warmth.

• herguate69
    6 years ago

My desert rose has a pod. How long till it opens.

• Nicole Gulley
    6 years ago

I was given a desert rose and was just wondering it has only flowers on one side... also when do they get there seed pods. Dont know a lot about these kind of plants. Can anyone help? Also how can I get a different color one as well?

• Nicole Gulley
    6 years ago

Hoping I might can find a,red one to go with my pink one

• Nicole Gulley
    6 years ago

Or yellow anyone have any seeds for them?

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    6 years ago

An old thread but a nice cheerful one! I'm about to try some hybridizing myself and attempt my first seed pods now some of mine are flowering. Keep up the great work, all of you. Please do come join us on the Adenium forums here on Gardenweb because we'd love to have you. I'm not in Florida myself but I'm close, up here in Georgia. You guys have wonderful weather for growing these.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As for additional sources for seeds in many colors, look at Ebay of course but be wary of anyone selling 'blue' adeniums as those are fake. From seed, blacks and purples are the hardest to come true at often less than 10 percent, but yellows may come 50 to 70% true in color (though triples will still throw singles as well) and generally whites, pinks and reds are the most likely to throw similar colored offspring if crossed with the same or selfed, though with great variability in pattern. Pinks crop up a lot and can be used for grafting material for other varieties you like more.

Other sources for good seed are Mr. KO, Orient Adenium, and King Adenium. All three of those are on Ebay but you'll get better prices directly from their websites in some cases.

Adenium Center has mosaic virus issues with their plants so be careful of them. All of my grafted plants from them were infected. Seed can carry and pass on mosaic virus but it's a low percentage risk.

Best Plumeria and Thai Perfectgems offer bulk seed cheap but the quality may be iffy and their grafted plants tend to be on the small side. I personally have had excellent germination from their seed packs of 100 seeds at a time for only $8 postage paid, and they are growing great for me, but I haven't seen any of them bloom yet as I started them last year.

Lastly, if you are on Facebook, there are several really good Adenium groups. I'm on FB myself so you are welcome to friend me and look at the groups I am on, or message me and I can send you some links. I will have my own hybrid crosses available as seed, as well as some grafted plants, all American grown starting next year but nothing available this year.

6 years ago

And a helpful link if your adenium are having trouble with pests, diseases, flowers that won't open, or other issues: http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/problems.htm

See my Facebook Page (Hyn Patty, Athens GA) and be welcome to go to my 'notes' section to access a list of useful adenium links. Blogs, hybridizing, growing concerns, and more here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008865947213&lst=100008865947213%3A100008865947213%3A1501346285&sk=notes

• shelldiazblue
    6 years ago

My desert rose has four seed pods on it I thought I would let them dry out or at least mature a little bit more I'm not sure I need help I have another mature desert rose plant I've had it about 5 years and it's never had pods on it but the little bonsai one does I figured I'd just let it dry out a little bit more if anyone wants some seats I'd be happy to send them to you

• kimivu
    6 years ago

Sheldiazblue, would you enable message.

• Jose Colon
    6 years ago

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Both pretty, but I love that first one! - J

6 years ago

Any of you looking for seeds, there's ton on Ebay that are cheap. Especially if you don't mind some will turn out to be pinks. But reds and whites often get a high percentage that come true-ish to color. Yellows are maybe 20 percent true, and purples and blacks being the hardest to get at around 10% or less. Triples can still throw a number of single and double flowers so seed is highly variable and doesn't come true to the parent. But sometimes if you pick a pretty one, you can get lucky. I can personally vouche that seed from Mr. KO and Orient Adenium is very good. King Adenium too, though Adenium Center has had mosaic virus among their stock this year so I'd avoid them - especially for grafted plants.

• PRO
    At home private Gardener, growing and seed/plant p
    6 years ago

Hello i myself have been having seed pods 1st time one at a time now consistently 2 at a time. I never used anything to keep them closed as the seeds are in there good from the silk, as well as then producing many seeds. But do wait till the crack/split open. I have more seeds im atarting today as it juat gave me 2 big pods and now has 2 more starting. But i expected ao as i have a male and female and intentionally have them fretlize one another giving me the pods. Anyway id seen you tall about wiring them shut when thats not necessary. Good luck with your gardening

• Tammi Chevalier
    6 years ago

I have 8 seed pods on my red one,its 3 years old.I live in Toledo Ohio.I leave it outside all summer.

• Debi Hollander
    6 years ago

shelldiazblue, I am interested in some adenium seeds. I have a wide variety of seeds, baby plants, and rooted cuttings I would be willing to trade for adenium obesa seeds, cactus seeds, or unique succulent seeds. . This offer is open to anybody. TIA

• Nikhi Fregia
    6 years ago

I got 3 out of the 4 before they opened. Fourth is scattered around our yard.

• anderson_suzanne37
    6 years ago

Just randomly found this site and thought I would share my baby’s as well...I have 3 desert rose beauties that I purchased while on vacation in Florida this past may. They bloomed all summer, one lost all its leaves and flowers in August as these 12 pods developed ( and are still developing), one had 3 pods, 1 busted but seeds failed to germinate, as they were very small and did not appear to be healthy. Oh and it seems to be growing new leaves. The other has not dropped a leaf, however all should be going dormant for winter as I live in TN. Any coment, or suggestions??

• anderson_suzanne37
    6 years ago

Oh and the 12 podder is a red

• tonikruse
    6 years ago

My seed pods are red not green what does that mean.

• Dana Markham
    5 years ago

They r close to popping open

• Kris Wenberg
    5 years ago

Reading this discussion, I’m so glad to finally figur out what the heck this thing is!! So, once it starts ope what should I do with it?? This guy is about 6 years old & this is it‘s first seed pod....I thought it was an alien life form, LOL! It’s actually very Red now

• Kris Wenberg
    5 years ago

This is my very first seed pod! I’ve been trying to figure out what it is for the longest time! It’s not near any other DR! So once it starts opening I should take it in? Then plant the seeds??

• Kris Wenberg
    5 years ago

Also it’s very red..

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    5 years ago

Kris, congratulations! There is some seed-starting information up-thread and gobs more in the [Adenium (Desert Rose) forum[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/adenium-forum-dsbr0-bd~t_29810).

Carol

• Kris Wenberg
    5 years ago

Thanks so much!!

• Kris Wenberg
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here they are! took forever but I noticed them today.... so soft like hair!

• tandalove
    5 years ago

Hi everyone I am new just signed up and love all the pics and info! I would love it if someone would share some seeds with me. I have 2 4 year old desert rose and 2 little babies that my hubby bought me from home depot. I would love to see if I can grow my own so if there is anyone that would share seeds I would so appreciate it. Thank you all again for sharing nice pics and info.

• HU-705500978
    5 years ago

I collected desert rose seeds from my plant this week. Now is in January 2019 and it's cold weather that I think I cannot start planning my seeds. Wondering when will be the good time to start and how can I keep the seeds fresh until the good time to start. I am living in north California. Thank you

• siperke
    5 years ago
    Hello, first time posting! I have dessert rose that I have had for about 12 years. Last year I brought another smaller one back from
    Florida in Spring. The one I brought back from Florida that has a seed pod.
    My problem is my kids were messing around and it fell. The stem with the pod snapped off. How do I save it? Anyone know of any tips to save the pod? Will it still open? Also lost a stem that snapped off
    So bummed.

Thanks Renee
  • Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    5 years ago

If you post your question in the [Adenium Forum[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/adenium-forum-dsbr0-bd~t_29810), you will be inundated with responses. :)

• vignewood
    5 years ago

My desert rose has ferns

beginning to grow in the pot. I like the way they look but I don’t know if the competing roots will harm my desert rose. Does anyone know

• HU-221411947
    3 years ago

oh my God I just saw a stick-like thing growing on my desert rose. I had NO idea there was such a thing as a “seed pod”. Now to research!!

• Tanya
    last year

Have a question. I have four large desert rose plants. Two of them produced two seed pods two years ago. Last year the same two produced three. This year I just discovered I have two pods on one and eleven (11) on one that has not produced pods before. They have all just started. Is it possible all eleven on the one plant will have viable seeds in each pod. And no I do not grow the for a nursery or anything like that. These are in my back yard. Thanks, Tanya

• HU-621758756
    last year

I have 5 dessert rose and all of them are between 8-10 years old. They have all seeded many times, but I have never tried to grow any from seed. I have one this year that has 16 seed pods. I am wondering if I should clip some of them off. I won't try to grow that many. Does anyone have any experience with this many?