Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago Palm Problem

Posted by scott7876 9/W Melbourne (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 15:27

Hi All:
Anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening to my Sago? It's 5 years or so old, usually produces a good flush of new growth each year. This year it produced a tall "cone" type flower, which eventually dried up, then it produced a big blast of new leaves. After a week or two, the new growth began to wither and turn brown, and it looks like I'm going to lose the new growth. The old growth is still nice and green. I fertilize periodically, and other than a whitefly problem from time to time, it seems to do well.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago Palm Problem

If your weather is really hot, Sagos can get sunburn. A product like Cloud Cover will prevent that.

o

That was a thought of mine, it has been real hot, and the new leaves were delayed due to the flowering, the new guys didn't come out until the cone had dried up, much later in the year than usual. I think they are goners, unfortunately!

Thanks

o

"Frizzle Top?".........lack of nutrients.......?

o

Have you checked for Asian Sago Scale which has devastated the Sago population in Fl.? It is common. If it's that, you'll need a systemic insecticide. I have had good luck with Bonide Systemic Granules. Easier to use than a drench. Have linked a Youtube video about Asian Scale which might help you diagnose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Sago Scale

o

the brown part looks like palm frizzle but you may have some scale too. Treat the frizzle first as wallisadi suggested, then get the scale. There is a product you can buy at the big box stores for this.

o

Thanks for the responses folks. I do fertilize, but I usually throw palm fertilizer on it, which might not be the best I suppose. The growth from previous years is fine though. Will treat it and see how we do. It was a little sprout when we bought it, so sad to see the new growth die off!

Also thanks for the link to the video, it does have a touch of what I guess is scale, but I will have to take a better look at photos to see if it's what I have here. I sent a photo to our extension agent, haven't heard back yet, but I know scale is a big problem here.

Thanks again all!

o

It's not a palm. It's a cycad. I think it's Frizzle top. It needs Manganese.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here