Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everglades Tomato Seed

Posted by tropicalfreak z10b Ft Lauderdale (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 15:35

I'm looking for Everglades Tomato Seed, if anyone has extras. I would like to grow these as part of my Propagation Class.

Also, is this tomato as a result from all the tomato farming back in the day and this hybrid came about through naturalization? (evolution of a tomato to survive in the South Florida climate?)

Thanks.

Cliff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everglades Tomato Seed

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 17:42

Hi Cliff,

I don't have any right now. A friend from South Carolina I gave seeds to just brought me some fruit but I'm not convinced they're mature enough to have viable seed. I hope someone else can help you out.

These originate from Peru, genetically they are designed to survive extremely harsh conditions, that's why they'll set fruit here in the summer...these are truly the origins of all tomatoes.

Tom

o

Some place I read a really interesting history of the wild tomato Solanum pimpinellifolium. It has naturalized all over the place and created landraces, such as our Everglades Tom. And one from the Galapagos that I'm keen to try sometime. It is used in a lot of hybrid tomatoes to get disease resistance.

I don't have any atm either, but EONS in Ft. Lauderdale sells it for very reasonable. They might be close to you.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Tomato

o

Thanks Tom.

Dianne,

I did a search for EONS Ft. Lauderdale and nothing came up. Are these initials?

Thanks,
Cliff

o

Sorry, yes, I never remember the name ...

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: EON Seed

o

Thanks Dianne.

Cliff

o

Back home from a road trip but I should be able to get seeds going. I will pick them today and let them ferment. They should be dry by the end of the week. will that be ok? I also have the bird pepper for you.

o

Hi coffeemom!

I'd really love some of those everglades tomato seeds if you could! Thanks!

o

email me at sjkdavis at bellsouth dot net
(will trade for donuts!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here