Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Persimmon Harvest time

I have 4 persimmon trees. Two are very young and 2 are about 8-9 years old. The first tree to ripen its fruit first is the tanenashi (astringent). Then the motsomoto (non-astringent) tree produces fruit. I like that because it stretches out the season.

I took some pics on 6-14-09.

This is the motsomoto:

Here is the tanenashi:

If you look closely at the tree pic, there is a cluster of fruit near the ground. Here is a close up:

Here is the same exact spot, pic taken last week, 8-9-09:

Here is another cluster of fruit higher up in the tree:

I have eaten a few fruits already but the peak ripening of the tanenashi variety has yet to come. The motsomotos are very close to ripening too.

Anyone else with persimmon trees to show?

Anyone have any great persimmon recipes? (I know I can count on you Silvia.)

Christine

Comments (4)

• whgille
    14 years ago

Christine- Nice looking trees!
    I like persimmons, they are good served with chicken or turkey, they can also take a lot of herbs and flavorings.
    As a dessert, they are good sliced with a splash of Amaretto or Vermouth.

When I had the ice cream store I made a nice sorbet, using just fruits, no cream.

Here is a recipe that you might like:

Indian Summer Salad

Grapefruit vinaigrette
    1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
    1/4 cup walnut oil (or mild olive oil)
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    salt and freshly ground pepper

Salad
    1 large bunch watercress, tough stems removed
    4 ripe persimmons, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
    2 pink grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
    parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
    freshly ground pepper

1. To make the vinaigrette, place all the ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake well. Refrigerate until needed.

2. To make the salad, just before serving, toss the watercress with half the vinaigrette in a mixing bowl.

3. Divide the watercress among chilled salad plates. Arrange the persimmon and grapefruit over the watercress, alternating the fruits. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad and garnish with fresh Parmesan shavings, if desired. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve.

Enjoy your harvest

Silvia

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Oh Silvia you had an ice cream store?! Heavenly, I would be twice the woman I am now lol. We bought an ice cream maker because the store bought stuff has soooo much salt in it.
    I make sherbets without cream and some milk sherbets also.

Christine
    your garden keeps on amazing me. Those persimmons look like a painting. And not a bit of insect damage, how do you do it?

Denise

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Denise

I had a homemade ice cream store while I lived in Phoenix. And the good news are that Willy and I weight less then than we do now.lol
    I probably sampled a lot of ice creams in my life,from different countries, and I do prefer the ones with just fruit.
    Recently we made mango ice cream. If you go to an Indian restaurant order the mango ice cream. I like the Italian gelato too, one of my favorites is pistachio. I even had a red bean ice cream.

Denise, I have soooo many favorites, just like you would say.lol
    If you ever coming around the Orlando area, send me an email, I will make something nice for you. And I promise you "no calories" lol

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia --- Do you have a persimmon sorbet recipe? What is your fav fruit sorbet? I like the idea of "ice cream" with out the cholesterol. The grapefruit vinaigrette recipe sounds great. I have some grapefruit juice frozen so I can make it with homegrown juice. Last year I made an old style persimmon pudding. Have you ever made it?

Denise --- I enjoy growing persimmon trees because they are so easy. The motsomoto persimmon tree got some tenting caterpillars clusters on it this summer. I just cut them out instead of spraying.

Christine