Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgardenmom

More questions on my squash

FLgardenmom
12 years ago

OK, so I've learned today that my squash seedlings are leggy and I shouldn't be transplanting them (have twice now).

Soooo, today, I just left them out in the sun. I had been bringing them in at noon because the leaves would droop after that. But now that the sun is going down, the leaves are perking back up (this is what my mornging glories do in the heat too). And now I have them in 1 gallon nursery pots with potting soil.

I'm kind of wondering if my best bet, at this point, might be to just leave them in the pots rather than transplanting them again to the garden. What do you think?

I'm going to put my seeds that I started yesterday out in the garden, and probably start more. But just wondering if there's a way to save these first ones by just leaving well enough alone.

Thanks in advance!

-Becca

Comments (15)

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

You might just wack a few more hole in the bottom of the nursery container and dig a hole in your garden and plant pot and all. Well, leave some of the pot sticking out of the ground.

~dianne

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Are you 9 or 10? If you're 10 you're way too early and need to start over in 2-4 weeks depending on the rain.

Tom

• FLgardenmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't really know, Tom. I've looked at some maps that have us in 9b and some that have us in 10. I'm south west Fort Myers. I'm thinking I should go with the 10 timings though. And yeah, I figured I was way too early. I got a little over excited to get started I guess, because I had 9/15 marked as my planting date per a post of yours. Could I just give you my cell # and have you text me every time you plant something? ha!

-Becca

• tomncath
    12 years ago

How far from the coast are you? Stating you're southwest has me concerned...it makes a significant difference.

Tom

• FLgardenmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

About 2 miles, "as the crow flies," to the bay. 6 to Ft. Myers Beach.

• keiki
    12 years ago

becca I live in Cape Coral so I think we are about the same. Tom is ahead of us cause it will get cold for him earlier. I don't put much in the yard before October. If your plant is transplant size by then this means fresh veggies for Chritmas, YUM.

• FLgardenmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, I need to cool my heels and go back to picking weeds out of my flower beds for a few more months, eh? :(
    Keiki, have you started tomato seedlings, and if not, when do you do that?

Thanks

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Plant amaranth, roselle. Visit echo.

Dianne

• cportu
    12 years ago

I wouldn't start tomatoes until sept 1st at the earliest.... I'm on Marco island. We started later than that last year and did quite well with few diseases till the end of the season... Lots of rain is a nightmare early... And it's been a wet late summer for us. I'd rather err on the side of starting too late. Just gotta keep working on your design and soil prep for another month!

• tomncath
    12 years ago

I'm glad you folks down there chimed in, I always hate to do more than state some generalizatons when it's not my back yard climate-wise, or micro climate-wise ;-)

Tom

• abnorm
    12 years ago

Thanks Dianne for the the pot-in-bed idea.....we already lost the early test squash(s) quickly to some cutworms.....fresh raised beds with lots-o-compost......I'll set new transplants out in one gallon pots of Al's 511 surrounded by the bed

dougandpam

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

I have two test squash going. One in a pot, the other in a coffee filter in a raised bed. After our heavy rains this week, the coffee filter plant is struggling. The plant in the pot is 5 times it size and happy as a lark. .... I have hope .....

~dianne

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

I suggest you grow cowpeas, and even some poles beans can stand the heat, leaf amaranth, molokiya(sp?), egyption spinach, okra, they all grow well in summer here so don't resort yourself to weed pulling near the flowers grow some new and exotic summer veggies just make sure to water them (use greywater or rainbarrel water) : ) best of luck with the squash..

P.s: maybe instead of transplants you direct seed next month?? My squash hate transplanting and grow MUCH better direct seeded : )

• mrs_tlc
    12 years ago

I'm in CC/FM area too. Went to a veg gardening class at Lee County Extension and they said that, as a general rule, not to plant anything here until the first or second week of Oct.

• FLgardenmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tlc, Maybe I need to check out one of those classes.