Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caterpillars dining on my oak trees

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 15:47

I have some fuzzy small black caterpillars enjoying the heck out of my water oaks. The trees are about 7 feet tall. Too far away to get a clear picture of them. I didn't want to kill them, because I'm enjoying all of the different butterflies we have this year. They are black with a tannish orange head.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caterpillars dining on my oak trees

But no tufts of yellow or orange on their backs?

o

They are moths, not butterflies.

o

I didn't see any tufts of orange or yellow. They are several feet above eye sight. What kind of moths do you think they are? We have had them before on a little tree we cut down. The tree always comes back.

o

The ones that initially came to mind were the Tussock Moth caterpillars that we tend to get an invasion of in the months of March and April. They can range from yellow to black with orange heads but also have 4 yellow or orange tufts behind the head. They are also what I would call "Commando" caterpillars as they tend to rappel down silk lines and land on you when walking under an oak, which tends to be their primary territory for food and egg laying. If the ones you're seeing are completely arboreal and lack the tufts, then they're probably not Tussock Moths, but I would still wager they're moth of some kind.

o

I had this going on a couple weeks ago. It was raining caterpillar poo under our big oak tree. From googling, it looks like they were army worms or tent moths, both natives. Not terribly desirable but your tree should be fine. If you google "caterpillar on oak tree" you'll see lots of pics and may be able to decide which yours is if not one of these suggested. Sometimes caterpillars are tricky to identify since they can change in appearance significantly as they grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here