Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible ginger

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 15:56

Photobucket Photobucket curing ginger or does it need to be dried. fresh stuff in pic, making stir fry tonight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible ginger

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 17:44

Hi M

Beautiful flower!

I love fresh ginger! What I do is freeze as is and later when frozen I just grate it, no need to peel and I always have some available for cooking.

Silvia

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 18:07

Are you sure that's the edible one? It looks more like shell ginger to me.

I do the same as Silvia and freeze then I can chop or grate it.

o

Yes, I was wondering about that, too, katkin.

o

edible! if you google it states that it doesn't flower very often, but here it flowered in two locations. incredible fragrance to the root! have the seashell, quite different flower, seashell more like a "cat's eye" shell. Photobucket

o

not dead yet....great flavor.....froze the rest....:)

o

I wish my ginger would bloom! Is there a best time to harvest ginger? I heard fall was best - around October, but that doesn't make it written in stone. cora

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 6:09

W, glad to hear it. :o) I read some where all gingers were edible, just not all tasted good.

My Thai ginger does very well, but I haven't had luck growing the regular one. The Thai one is hotter.

o

I have a huge plant of a type of ginger but not sure if it is edible or not. it sure does smell like it tho. it seem to be in bloom all the time.

I did root a ginger that I bought at the grocers and it seens to be doin very well in a pot,next is to plant in the garden and hope it doesn't take over.

Carmen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here