Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

This is my white tacca, aka bat plant (looks like a bat in flight). There are two more buds that haven't opened yet. I also have a black tacca but it hasn't sent up any flowers just yet. This is such an unusual tropical plant. I fuss with it all year keeping it out of hot sun and cold winter breezes, but it's worth it to see the flowers.

Linda Leaf

Comments (18)

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

No bud or bloom here yet......:)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

No bud or bloom on mine yet either.

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I think my black tacca has two buds. It's only it's second year with me so I still have trouble determining if they are buds or leaves.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Curious as to what potting mix.?? All my attempts croaked lol Though a green lasted almost 10 years Have noted they have come down in price and availability . I think I have an ideal place in my shade area so may try again. beautiful plant even without the flowers
    You must be doing something right!! gary

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

A fellow gardener told me when the bloom is done to wrap the stem around the base of the plant and leave it there. It will make seeds and new plants will sprout. This has worked for me with my black one.

Maybe it's time to give my white one some fertilizer. :o)

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, I buy whatever potting mix is on sale. This tacca is planted in Osmocote potting mix. It is in under a pygmy date palm so it gets filtered light and because it is in a corner, it is sheltered from strong winds.
    Katkin, I had heard about your hint of wrapping the spent bloom stem around the plant, and it worked.
    I really like taccas because they are just so unusual looking.
    Linda Leaf

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Update: 8 bloom stems. One withered, one broke, three are curving wildly downward and sideways. Any clue why they are curving down toward the dirt?

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

My black one is planted out side in the garden and I hadn't notice it was blooming until now. Then I looked closely at the white one and it has a bloom coming. It is on the lanai in a pot.

Lady, you could stake the bloom upright like they do orchids. Does it get enough sun? They'll take more then you think. The black one out in the garden, gets full morning sun, then very bright light in the afternoon. If you've had them in shade, don't forget to hard them off to the sun.

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Thanks Kat, sounds like low light could be the issue. It currently has northern exposure, but I can change that to eastern without a problem.

• keiki
    10 years ago

Nice picture Linda! I have a black in the ground that blooms frequently but have had no luck with white ones.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I got seven large flowers on my black. It gets full morning sun and full late afternoon sun.

Coolest plant I've ever grown!

Jane

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful specimen, Jane!

Carol in Jacksonville

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Jane, your plant is lovely. That's a good idea to use tomato cages to support the flowers. :o)

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Very happy plant - you've done wonderfully! I repotted mine for the umpteenth time this spring and it's due again. What size pot is yours in?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Thanks. I actually have the cage on it because of squirrels. They kept jumping on the plant to climb the large oak which is next to it. They kept crushing the plant. The cage worked, they leave it alone.

I'm hoping to get a white this winter. There was a vendor at the Selby garden sale with lots of whites. I bought this one at the Sarasota Orchid Show in December. It was a tiny plant and has grown so big in 9 months. I have it in a 16" pot.

Jane

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Jane, Thanks. The last thing I read was an article that said the plants "finish" in a 10" pot. Knowing I can (and WILL) go larger is a relief. I was going to give it the heave ho in the spring because this daily/every other day watering is a kick in the backside.

Terri

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so happy! My black bat plant finally sent up a flower! I have relatives up North sending me pictures of the fall foliage and cool fog over the lake, but nothing beats tropical flowers!!!

Linda Leaf

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Great plant.

Now I have to figure out what to do with it when the weather gets cold. The pot is crawling with ants :-((

Jane

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz