Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf, sterile royal poinciana?

Posted by slopfrog none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:00

I'm still looking for a dwarf, sterile cultivar of royal poinciana. My girlfriend loves them but we don't have the yard space to devote to a big tree and I'm not going to constantly deal with seedlings either.

Previously I was told to look at Pride of Barbados. Well, I finally saw one and to me it looks weedy... Not really what I'm looking for. I realize that with a LOT of training from a very young age it might work, but I'm looking for an easier option.

Any suggestions? Other than "quit being so picky!" :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf, sterile royal poinciana?

Hi
I tried for several years to "Dwarf" a variety of white poincianna resulting in going ten years with no flowers
Did remain under 10 feet though.lol
3 of my neighbors keep regular RP and the main problems besides size are not so much the seeds sprounting but the pods are large and very hard. Tough on mowers ??
I'm a BIG fan of the dwarf poincianns POB being my favorite I keep them in oversize pots as I like to move them around. Check out some of the nurseries that keep already trained specimens You will pay for it BUT will already be towards your "Ideal" Might mention that they also have pods but are only around 3 inches and are soft.
There are at least 500 types of flowering trees that require 8 or above winters so there MUCST be a type ??lol
gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here