Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomkaren_gw

Fay is here there and everywhere?

tomkaren
15 years ago

Seems like TS Fay wants to visit all of Florida. Keys, Southern Florida today and then it looks like maybe she will come back through to see the rest of us.

Even here in part of Citrus County we have had some strong rain bands come through.

Everyone please keep safe.

Comments (25)

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

Here in Tampa we've barely got a drop. Just some mild breezes. Fay knows there ain't nothin' doin' in Tampa :P
    Garden could use some rain, though...

• laura1
    15 years ago

MM-I'm in north Tampa and I'm reporting "ditto". I decided that I had better not wait for rain to water my potted plants so I did that this AM.

• joyful_garden
    15 years ago

Well, Osceola county here. East Saint Cloud to be exact. In the past couple of hours the rains and winds have picked up. Lost a piece of a gutter so far but the plants are standing tall. I have lots of very tall pine trees and I hope none of them fall on my house though they are kind of skinny. I would say that we are having some good 40-45 mph gusts, 20 mph sustained winds. That's just a guess from a girl. Probably nowhere near accurate. Stay safe everyone!!

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Sitting in Ponce Inlet waiting ... waiting ... waiting

• tclynx
    15 years ago

Aye, but Fay seems to be one of the storms that may want to see everything so after getting off land, regaining strength, she may come back accross and make sure she sees all there is to see of Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.TCLynx.com

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Glad you fared well, Tom and Ian. I'm doing the happy dance because we still have power. Whoo hoo! We experienced somewhere between 9"-11" of rain here on the Treasure Coast.

This is the first storm I worried about having the house flood. (We aren't in a flood zone.) At 11:00 am, water was up over my ankles on the north side of the house. I won't share the entire dog and pony show about removing a downspout from the gutters, bailing bucketfuls of rain out of a 55 gallon garbage can placed under the downspout or buying $50 worth of basically useless downspout extensions from a big box store, changing wet clothes 8 times... but all's well that ends well. And I finally got to use some of those bungie cords I've had in the hurricane supply tub for 4 years. (The bungies didn't actually work, but I put the tub to good use.)

We're out of the weeds now. A tibouchina was listing badly and looked like she was going to uproot, but my boyfriend propped her up with a 2"x4" and I think she'll be ok. Some heirloom tomato seedlings are probably going to bite the dust, but I was being optimistic planting them so early anyway.

Fay on this coast was a slow moving tropical with a mean east side and tons of rain. She could have been worse. Clothes are in the drier and I have a chicken in the oven. So what could be better than that?

Cheers,
    Marilyn

• early_bird_2007
    15 years ago

Some casualties here in Brevard. Looks like my papayas are gone

{{gwi:926802}}

Front yard. It was all tied up!

{{gwi:926804}}

Bird of Paradise is down

{{gwi:926805}}

A lot of small flowers are gone and broken.
    At least somebody is happy!

{{gwi:926807}}

Maria

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

Okay, a few pics of the flooding around my house. Luckily, we're too high for the water to threaten the house...yet. They are predicting another 2-4 inches of rain for us.

This first picture is at the corner in front of my house.

{{gwi:926809}}

The second is looking west down my street:
    {{gwi:926811}}

This last one is looking north on the side street by my house. There is a two lane road under there and a canal beyond the trees. The canal actually has a higher water level than the street.
    {{gwi:926813}}

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

in Brevard. WELL over 5" of rain already. Tornado in south county - many homes damaged. I have a friend on South Merritt Island...they came home from work to find all of their front windows blown in. (We had heard of a possible tornado moving from the ocean directly toward Suntree/Viera (just a hair south of us)..these folks are directly in that path. My yard? Weellll...very littered, at best..branches down...so far, nothing major. Thank God! Who would a thunk it, eh??? All of a sudden, Fay has turned from a lil girlie to ...um.... a not-so-little girlie.... Hope she cools her jets. As I type, the rain is pelting the windows behind me.....wind must be....in excess of 50 mph. Hope we don't lose power.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

here she is.It has gotten MUCH worse since I shot this.total flooding and Great Balls of Fireants!

Here is a link that might be useful: fay day not a ducky day

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

Fay, I was watching the lightening in that and thinking "She needs to go inside!" I'm glad that you filmed it, but even more glad you're smart enough to go inside.

When I was out earlier to take pics, my hubby kept telling me I was insane to be outside again. We've decided that going out to dinner is out of the question! ;)

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Well, when I posted earlier, I thought we were in the clear on the Treasure Coast, but its still blowing and raining and that wench just won't move on. Good luck to everyone. Thanks for the happy frog picture early bird!

• piri
    15 years ago

http://www.xkcd.com/453/
    Looks like we got one that's on this list
    :p
    Hope this give a chuckle or two...

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

GP ~ What a cute video and I would have done exactly what you did after hearing that bit of thunder, head for cover.

We had Asplundh the tree trimmers pull up awhile ago asking if they could come in our driveway to trim the overgrown trees at the back of our property from our neighbors yard. I had to let them in and I came back in telling DH I didn't want to watch any more of the trimming as I didn't want to see if my potting area survives. I don't know if they are going to cart the stuff out of here or what. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I had to come in also because the skeeters were attacking my ankles.

FlowerLady

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Thanx piri, A chuckle or two???? I think I just spent 45 min reading all the comics. What were we discussing? Oh yea, Fay.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

Started raining here in Lakeland about 1 this afternoon but gentle rains not downpours and not continuous. The winds come and go - one branch from the oak near the house hit the roof but no damage.

The sky was scary looking about 7pm, real deep pink in color. Couldn't remember the verse - Red sky at night - sailors delight - red sky in morning sailors take warning or was it vice versa?

Looks like we got much less than we were expected too and those that weren't to get much, really did.

Of course, I don't think we are finished with Fay yet!

• early_bird_2007
    15 years ago

They just said on TV Palm Bay-Melbourne area got more than foot of rain since yesterday afternoon. Nice. My girlfriend tried to get to work and could not - the street was flooded.

• amberroses
    15 years ago

Here in Pinellas county we got nothing at all. Maybe a slight breeze. The yard actually could use some rain. It looks like Faye might be comming back this way soon and deliver some rain.

• auntiejan
    15 years ago

The small lake behind our house in Melbourne is almost all the way up to the house... Fay needs to GO AWAY!!!

No plant casualties so far, but they all may drown soon. It hasn't stopped raining since early yesterday.

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

Just posted a national weather service picture of the 'eye'. We're pretty much surrounded by water - it's 11 am. At least our street is clear, but there are at least three gardens that look like lakes (since last night). It's amazing how the worry over gardens pales when you anticipate that 'lake' INside the house! Thank goodness...no lake in the house. a few limbs down...LOTS of branches and twigs. I agree: Fay needs to GO AWAY! Hey...we won't have to water! .....until at least Friday, right???

• veromg
    15 years ago

Just talked to our son in Satellite Beach - he's had at least 15" of rain, and the water is up to his back door. He can't get out of the neighborhood because the streets are flooded.

It's still raining hard here in Vero Beach - the swimming pool next door has been overflowing since yesterday, and we have LOTS of cleaning up to do in the yard. At least we have'nt lost power and our home is nice and dry!!

• ginibee
    15 years ago

I live in Palm Bay and I can't get out either. My front is ok up to the swale and the street is flooded, but the back looks like a lake. Still raining hard as ever.

Dry inside so far, but holding my breath.

Ginny

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I'm here in Palm Bay tool. Plenty of rain still comming down. My pool is at the tippy-top just about to go over. TV reporter said we have over 11 inches of rain with lots more to come. Pretty soon we'll just float away.
    Rain, Rain, Go Away!!!!!!!

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

Gosh....here's hoping that all of your water woes stay OUTside your dwelling.... It really needs to stop soon.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

She's going to move, she's going to move, she will move, well creep. Good luck and best wishes to all who are dealing with creepy Fay.