Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Finally, a picture!

tomncath
11 years ago

I been chasing this elusive little bugger for years, seems every time I get the camera out they've already left. I saw this one and ignored it because I was in the pool. A minute later he/she was still working the porter weed so I could not resist, holding my breath that by the time I got out there with the camera and my glasses this little fellow would still be there, it was and very accommodating to boot. Finally! I'm only 100 yards from the mangroves, didn't think it would take so many years to capture a few pictures :-)

Tom

Comments (15)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Cute whatever it is! Love the blue in it! Mayybe some type of skipper? I have a butterfly book. So many different names for them all.

• User
    11 years ago

nice pictures....they don't come easy..:) have you found out the name yet? i'm butterfly/skipper ????? love to see them!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both M's, you're right, it's a skipper! The hint was that my house is only 100 yards from them ;-)

Tom

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

We call that Snake Weed here, a great butterfly attractant. Pity it's such an invasive weed. The butterfly just doesn't quite have the full Skipper look to me. At some angles it looks like a Lycaenid. But thorax and abdomen are very Skipper-like.

When you mention mangroves, does it prefer mangrove habitats?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, since it's a Mangrove Skipper I'd have a tendency to say yes ;-)

• whgille
    11 years ago

Tom, beautiful pictures!

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Silvia, I figured most of you folks had not seen a Mangrove Skipper up close and personal and these pictures are much better than most of the ones I reviewed on GI.

Tom

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    11 years ago

Beautiful photography, Tom. Thanks for sharing. I don't think that I have seen a mangrove skipper before.

Christine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Well, since it's a Mangrove Skipper I'd have a tendency to say yes ;-)

Of course, if you already know it's a Mangrove Skipper.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Christine

Of course, if you already know it's a Mangrove Skipper.

I know, I was holding back to put a little mystery in it ;-)

Tom

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That's a Rhizophora species you have there, isn't it? Do the butterfly larvae feed on the leaves? If so, they'd have to like their meals heavily salted. ;O)

• Truscifi
    11 years ago

Those are some amazing pics! My son and I loved them. Thanks for sharing!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...Do the butterfly larvae feed on the leaves? If so, they'd have to like their meals heavily salted. ;O)

Yes, and yes ;-)

TSF- my pleasure.

I linked this post over at the Butterfly Gardening forum as I'm sure 99.9% of them have never seen a Mangrove Skipper either....

Tom

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I never saw one. I'm just starting to get interested in butterflies. We have little yellow skippers here in NE Georgia. And of course plenty of Zebras. I have a blue Porter's weed in my greenhouse that I snagged from a friend's garden in Vero Beach. Mine's in a pot and struggling. I'd love to put it in the ground, but I don't think it would take a freeze. You were lucky you had a good poser. I tried to take photos the other day and they kept flying away from me!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I've always liked mangroves, they're sometimes referred to as "The Cradle of Life". A very important part of the ecosystem. I've often seen lots of butterflies near mangroves but they mainly seemed to be feeding on flowering plants on the shoreline or getting salt from saltwater dampened sand. Off the top of my head I don't know any butterfly species that has larvae feeding on any mangrove species. I'll have to keep an eye out for that now.

Butterflies can be difficult to photograph, but now and again you can come across a good poser. I have opportunistically got some good photos over the years.