Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuban Tree Frogs

Posted by Lobstah FL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:41

We recently moved to the Gulf Coast of Florida. Our new home has speakers mounted in the back yard and in the front patio under 3' eaves.
I noticed when we moved in that the white speakers had some sort of drippy brown crud on them. I figured that maybe birds were perching on top of them.
WRONG.
Turns out there are frogs living behind our speakers. Upon investigation, it appears these are Cuban Tree Frogs, which are considered an invasive species and are turning into a serious problem in Florida. The state's website says we're supposed to "humanely euthanize" the frogs due to their being such a threat to native species.
Just thought I'd pass this along to other Florida gardners, in case you weren't aware.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuban Tree Frogs

Thank you, but we are most definitely aware. This is a matter of some debate and contention on this forum and frequently comes up. Too frequently some might say. :)

CTFs are truly a nuisance and while I do my part in trying to control them, I fear they are here to stay

o

ha, yes, we certainly know, as for you, a little anbesol gel should solve that problem nicely.

o

Lived in Fort Myers for five years, quickly realized why neighbors kept all the outside lights off at night, they just attract bugs that attract the frogs. Every morning there was a mess to clean up by the front door. Also, they love tubes, and will get in your plumbing vents and possibly into your toilets (I had this happen). Cover your vents with screening to keep them out. Some people trap them by sticking short lengths of pvc pipe in the ground. Live in Venice now, have only seen one cuban tree frog, but I think I'd trade them for the fruit rats we have here (also living in the plumbing vents).

o

These guys just love my big wind chime that hangs on my front porch!

o

These guys just love my big wind chime that hangs on my front porch!

o

I find that if I spray equal parts water and pinesol in their favorite hide out they seem to stay away for long periods.I live in the forest in the middle of nowhereville hundreds in the window shutters, garden anything decorative, errrrggg and don't mention trying to sleep with all the ruckus make.
But yes Pinesol works well

o

In regards to frog calls, I will say that since I started... 'controling' them in my yard, I now hear a larger variety of frog and toad calls.

o

These frogs help with the mosquitoes in our yard but that's the only thing I think they are good for. Does anyone think they would be good in the veg. garden for other pests?
Sarasota

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here