Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are all the Zone 10 planters?

Posted by PlantnSWFL 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 17:24

For all the Zone 10 planters out there... what grows and what doesn't grow for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are all the Zone 10 planters?

I've been here only 4 years, so def. not an authority! Definitely try heliconia, mine are going crazy, but my Birds of Paradise are very fussy and won't bloom. Ferns, ferns, ferns for shady areas. I've got beds of Boston and Macho ferns replacing most of the side lawns. They spread quickly and choke out weeds. They're virtually no maintenance (except keeping them in bounds). I don't plant much in the ground, they just don't do well. I've got a lot of natives in front of the house in heavily amended and mulched soil. The wax myrtle and elderberry are doing great. I've planted some bananas, too. We've had mild frosts each year I've been here, so the bananas lose their leaves and look kinda sad, but they bounce back. Good luck!

o

• Posted by jofus 9b/10a Englewood (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 21:36

Have lived here for 9 years and will just list the plants I have had success with and those that didn't do well,..for me at least.
Recommended : Mango trees, key lime trees, bananas ( all kinds ), Southern Magnolia trees, and until 2011, Ruby Red grapefruits trees, ( citrus greening now a huge problem, - can't explain my thriving lime tree tho ).
Not recommended ( IMHO ) : Peach trees, ( even low chill, - too many critters ), tomatoes, avocado, blueberries, orange trees ( see grapefruit trees above).
Good luck !

o

I have been gardening in zone 10 for 20 years. Your question is pretty vague. Tons of stuff grow in zone 10. Are you wondering about fruit, veggies, nuts, herbs, tropicals, roses, butterfly plants, bamboo, orchids, begonias, bromeliads, grasses, natives, trees, or ????? All of these grow here, what do you like?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here