Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciduous tree in container? In zone 10?

Posted by jmo_0121 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 17:53

I'm from Chicago, and I really miss nature up there. I loved the seasons and everything that it brought, yes I love snow and the cold.

I now live in Miami. Nothing much to say about Miami other than any place in Florida out of Miami is probably better in many aspects.

My question is, I'm currently living in an apartment with two balconies, the main balcony is actually sort of a porch which serves as the main entrance to the apartment and is 8x16 ft. I would love to plant a deciduous (temperate climate) tree but I seem to have everything stacked against me. I live in zone 10 and my "balcony/porch" garden faces north, although I don't get morning sun, I do receive a lot of sunshine from 4pm on out.
What could work for me? The tree will have to be planted in a large container (when it get's larger). I would love to try the Japanese maple but I would love to have some guidance that would probably make me make a better choice.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciduous tree in container? In zone 10?

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 19:36

Although you're Zone 10 Florida now I honestly think you'd get better advice here, but I may be wrong.

Tom

o

Hi
I"d avoid any type of temperate plants . J. maples require a cool rest period which is almost impossible in 9/10. There are over 2500 species of tropical trees that REQUIRE zone 10 and Miami frequently stays in 11 depending on the winter. There are soooo many that you could grow that are almost impossible further north.
Foliage,flowers , fruit whatever!!! most "houseplants ' are tropical anyway.
BTW Hope you're not planning on importing some snow and ice?? haven't seen any in 35 years and hoping for another 35!!
gary

o

I'm in zone 9A and I've killed 4 or 5 Japanese maples trying to grow them here in Central Florida south of Ocala 40 miles. I then bought a Florida sugar maple and now I have a 15 foot tall stick without any branches (I found out this is normal growth). The leaves grow out of the trunk of the tree (the stick) from the bottom to the top. I suggest you not try to grow any type of maple in Florida as it will not be what you are used to seeing up north.

Lou

o

You might want to try a crape myrtle. Here in Sarasota
they grow real well and bloom on and off from May to
October. Also, I was just down in Fort Lauderdale for
several days and they are common there also which is
a little more tropical than here. We are in zone 9b/10a,
where Fort Lauderdale/Miami would be in zone 10b. They
have beautiful blooms which resemble lilacs without a
fragrance and have many varieties probably some that are
dwarf varieties that would be suitable for a container. They usually lose their leaves for a few months then in
April the new leaves come out. I'm also from near Chicago
and have found that only a few plants from there will work
here although Chicago didn't have Crape Myrtles.

o

If you get a crepe myrtle, a dwarf or semi-dwarf variety might be best for your situation. I like firecracker, a dwarf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firecracker crepe myrtle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here