Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapefruit tree from seed?

Posted by saintpfla (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 17:54

I have a question on growing a Marsh Pink grapefruit from seed.

I tried it "just for fun" last year when I realized my favorite grapefruit tree was in the slow decline. My seedling, is surprisingly doing really well! The only negative is it has the very large thorns that most nursery's breed out.

I've never done this before. What's the general thought on growing a grapefruit tree from seed? Don't do it! or Great idea!

The irony is, it's doing better than my Honeybell Orange tree that I bought from a nursery three years ago.

I'll try to take a pic so you can see and post back later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapefruit tree from seed?

I think grapefruit are typically grafted onto rootstock to ensure that you get the same fruit as the parent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Citrus Trees

o
Another Link

see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: UF Article

o
Grafting Link

this link shows you how to graft yourself

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting Citrus

o

Thanks for the links!!! The below info describes EXACTLY how my grapefruit tree is growing...very interesting. I guess I'll toss the seedling this weekend.

"...if you plant the seed from an especially tasty orange and nurture that tree for better or worse, you may have to wait 8 to 15 years for that seedling tree to bear fruit. Your seedling tree may grow straight up without much branching and may be very thorny. (Even budded Meyer lemon, Bearss lemon, and grapefruit trees can be thorny too.)

In most cases, your seedling tree will produce fruit
similar to that of the parent plant. Even then, fruit
quality from the seedling tree may not be as good as
that from the parent tree for several years after fruit is
first produced. And you'll never get the added,
beneficial effects from a carefully chosen rootstock."

o

yumtomatoes,

If I graft myself, as you say, which part of me do I take for a cutting?
Will just my little pinky finger work or Is it better to take a toe to graft and work from the bottom up?

MOO

o

i threw a bunch of seeds(pink grapefruit) in here and this is what came up ,covered in thorns (spikes)up the stock,any input would be helpful on this matter

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 6:49

Lou, you always make me laugh.

o

Clearly late to this but I understand Mexican(Key) lime & Ponkan tangerine/mandarin do grow true to seed...?

o

Baby red grapefruit

o

Baby red grapefruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here