Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chance71

How to amend my soil

chance71
10 years ago

I just did a soil test and while my soil has a medium amount of potassium and phosphorus it has almost no nitrogen to speak of.

Here is my question? Do I just add nitrogen to my soil if so how do you do that? Can you do that? I am planning to grow a vegetable garden soon and want it to have the best chance. PH By the way is 6.5 :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (9)

• rednofl
    10 years ago

Non Organic, most of your lawn fertilizers are very high N just look for a high first No. Organic, blood meal , Alfalfa meal, Grass clippings, If your county offers free compost it should be fairly high N.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPK values

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I would suggest reading up on U of F's information on doing vegetable gardening in Florida. They have lots of online pamphlets and quite a few videos on YouTube as well.

The following is more from what I've read than actually done, since I do more container gardening than plot gardening due to neighborhood restrictions. But I've done quite a bit of reading on the topic simply for knowledge sake:

One thing that you will probably be quick to find out is that planting crop gardens directly into our soil is not recommended. The preferred method in Florida is to use raised gardens so that you are building your beds above our sandy, nutrient-lacking soil. I think that in the long run, you end up putting more money and energy into trying to increase - and maintain - proper nutrient levels in a plot than you would by simply building a frame and filling it. One of the reasons for this is, even if you find a way to boost your nitrogen levels, our soil is generally so porous that the nitrogen will pass through it rather quickly.

There are many others on these forums that can give you even more advice based on real experiences, but the best-looking vegetable crop pics I have seen here have been in raised beds. And as I said, the University of Florida has lots and LOTS of information on the topic, so that might be a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: UofF pamphlet on Veggie gardening

• chance71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both so much for the advice and the links! I really appreciate it
    And will def take your suggestions into consideration.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Start composting. Save every leaf and grass clipping. Pile it high and let it start to rot. Grass clippings are high in N. The shredded leaves will keep the nutrients from leaching out. You can add coffee grounds, tea bags, kitchen vegetable waste, etc.

Build your raised beds and keep adding your clippings and leaves and you'll have beautiful soil for free. Don't use chemicals and let the worms come and do their job.

Jane

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Would like to add that it's better not to mix amendments in deeply - or @ all, most of the time. Better to pile it on top & let the worms, etc. do the job.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Manure is an excellent source of nitrogen. I compost it first. Fresh will burn plants. Create a compost bin. Add organic waste. See if there are any local fruit stands. Gather the waste and compost.

This summer I grew black eye peas. Up to flowering then plowed it all under. I got boxes of produce waste and buried it. Add some red wiglers if you add waste. The worms will eat all kinds of rotting stuff. Nothing greasy from your table. Amending soil is not a temporary effort. I'm constantly working on it.

Find info on the web on how to compost.

Good luck

• chance71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are the best! What wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much for all of your help.

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago

Be careful about adding kitchen waste. The racoons won't forget where they got the banquet!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I think coons come calling mostly when you have proteins in your compost, which you really shouldn't have in the first place. We have coons in our area and they have never shown interest in my open-air compost heap. They're more likely to go after the cat food left out by a few people in the neighborhood for the strays... and possums and coons.