Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smallfern

unwanted small nursery pots

smallfern
10 years ago

Does anyone living in Indian River or S. Brevard have small nursery pots that are on the verge of being thrown into the garbage or just lying around?

I need quite a few to start cuttings and can't bear to buy new pots on ebay without 1st asking if used ones might be available. I'm a staunch believer in recycling such items, I guess. PM me & I can come to collect from your kerbside.

Thanks.
fern

Comments (27)

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Fern, I'm in central Brevard and have a few (not a million, but probably 25-ish) that you can have if I'm not too far out of your way?

• pawsnplants
    10 years ago

I have some pots that I would be happy to give you. I live in Melbourne Beach.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I get them from the Lowes recycle rack (near back of Garden Center). Give what you don't need, take what you do need. The manager of the Lowes in Jacksonville never mind but you may want to ask first.

If you need really small pots, styrofoam coffee cups, yogurt cups, cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt containers, toilet paper rolls and folded newspaper cups and a million other small things can be used. Only need to punch drainage holes in the bottom.

Carol in Jacksonville

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shear_S, I've PMed you.
    PawsnPlants, if you're near the Melb Causeway, I'd gladly drive up there :D
    Thanks.

Love_the_Yard, I've tried yoghurt cups & other small containers, they get toppled over &/or are not deep enough. I rarely buy cottage cheese or sour cream :( but I'll check out styrofoam cups. Tks for info.

vin

10 years ago

Set them in clusters inside a larger plastic or cardboard container so that they can't fall over - I even stick in empties so all of the cups are snug. The bottom half of strawberry, cherry tomato or blueberry containers is perfect because they already have drain holes. Just cut off the lid and they are ready to go. Added bonus is that you now have a tray so that you can carry or move many seedlings at once.

I've started hundreds of cuttings in dixie cup/dentist cup size containers. I'm curious - what are you rooting that requires depth?

Good luck with your project - please post photos when you get them all started!

Carol

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, my problem is that I can't put containers too close together. I try to cut Pandanus amaryllifolius babies with at least 1 aerial root & that root has to be totally covered in soil. The leaves in the meantime can spread about 7" in diameter. I am also trying to propagate Murraya koenigii (curry leaf) by cutting 1" below a sub-branch's node (branch about 7" long) but I have to leave 3-4 rows of leaves at the top & that too spreads openly too.

Thank you for wishing me luck... I need it. :D

fern

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, since you mentioned photos, this is the pic of 1 of my Pandanus parent plants. I have 3. The little arrows indicate babies & some aerial roots. They are what I need the nursery pots for & this needs to be done in hot summer weather, when they grow like crazy. They seem to "hibernate" when it gets cool.

10 years ago

Cool! I had to look it up (it is Screwpine for anyone like me who does not know). The picture is great - it helps a lot - and I know what you mean about hurrying and taking advantage of growing season. My to-do list is always crazy long this time of year to get everything done before winter comes back around.

Would water bottles be something you could use? There are always all I could want in the recycle bins up and down the street each week. If you cut off the tops near the top, you would have a deeper pot. I make holes in the bottom using a large nail, a pliers and a candle. Not the fastest, but it absolutely works. As for spacing, I have never had that problem before but now I understand. Thanks again for the picture!

Carol

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I used to live in Indian River County from 1989-2006. I got alot of my pots from the transfer stations where you take your trash and recycles. They would save them for me sometimes. Depending on the attendant you might be able to barter something for them or just bring them some donuts! Or try the landfill in Vero.

10 years ago

Good idea, Zackey. And don't forget the recycle rack at Lowes. I don't know if I mentioned those are free... have never had a problem carrying any out... that is the purpose, to recycle.

Carol

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Carol, do all Lowes recycle the pots? I didn't know that and I am always looking for a place to send them. I sometimes go to a farmers market and take them to the growers there. But Lowes would be easier.

• laura1
    10 years ago

my favorite home owned nursery has given me a lot of pots...of course I buy a lot from them and I carry a stack of their cards and pass them out freely.

10 years ago

Zackey, as far as I know, every Lowes has a recycle rack. All of the Jacksonville stores do. It is usually located either near the very back or the side gate of the garden center. It is a rolling rack and you just carry your pots and plastic trays in and set them on it.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Center Gets Greener With Recycling

• zzackey
    10 years ago

That was katkins question not mine. But I am curious now. I worked at Lowe's for 13 weeks every Saturday and I never saw the pots for free. I almost asked a few times but they were always so short-handed I never wanted to bother them. I worked at Regency Square Lowe's. I find a few along the road now and then. I got most of mine from a nursery that went out of business. Try landscapers.

10 years ago

Oops, sorry Zackey and Katkin!

No, there is no sign saying they are free. There is also no sign saying "Recycle your old pots here". In fact, there has never been any sign at all. All there is in any of the Jacksonville stores is a rolling rack over near the side gate or in the very back of the garden center for those who are in-the-know. It is usually half filled with used, empty pots and trays.

I always bring in my old nursery pots - I do it all the time - and if there is anything I need, I ask one of the employees, "Mind if I take a few of these?" If an employee is available, I ask on my way in, while I have my armful. If I have already dropped mine off, I mention to the employee that I brought in x-size but need a few of y-size; would it be ok? I have never had anyone say no. They actually seem like they don't even give it a second thought - they all seem like it isn't even anything to think about - they could care less.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 20:48

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobra, got your note but how can I reply with a date & time? Tomorrow 09/09 late morn?
    Tks.

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Bobra, I meant: tomorrow OR 09/09 late morn?

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

No Harm done, Carol. I am just glad to get this info. :o)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Smallfern,

Thanks for the info on when to propagate the pandan. I always wondered why they took sometimes and not others. Do you use the leaves - I love the flavor in rice and wondered what else to use them in.
    -J

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jstropic,

Yes I have many uses for pandan leaves. Apart from putting it in rice, I use it when making waffles, bread & desserts. Pandan-chicken is also yummy. There are many pandan recipes on the internet. It is also a natural cockroach repellent.

Pandan was literally wiped-out after FL winters of 2010 & 2011 but I managed to find a small 1 at an Asian store last year and am desperately trying to grow more. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandan Chicken

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Attaching a youtube link (specially for jstropic) since you like pandan flavored food. You'll also see lots of other pandan food preparation videos at the side.
    See why I'm so keen to get small nursery pots to produce more pandan babies?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrapping Pandan Chicken

• whgille
    10 years ago

Smallfern, thank you for posting the video, that is so interesting! it requires a skill and I bet is delicious, I like the taste of a lot of wrapped food with different leaves, but I have never try pandan, I learn something new every day in this forum. I love black sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves or achira leaves.
    Carol, good info on the pots.

Silvia

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad you like the video Silvia, yes, like you, I love the subtle flavor that some leaves add to food. BTW, l love your garden and food pics, they actually motivate me to grow more.

I've had to cut some babies off this morning as the warm weather is just right for the pandan mother plant to grow and I've found younger babies just pushing for room. Carol, I've added pics to show how "big" they are. They are in water now.

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Zackey for very good advice. I went down to the "centre" & managed to get 10 pots. My project is moving along great. :D

fern

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Looking good! One of my favorite things is starting new plants. I used to have a wholesale nursery and my husband worked at the landfill and the transfer stations. I probably had 10,000 pots from there. All sizes.

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK & Tku Bobra.

• smallfern
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you VM for pots & tour of your garden Bobra. Love your bananas! :D