Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoj_gw

Elephant Ears For Food

theoj
11 years ago

My neighbor is from Banglalesh, her mother is staying here for a while (maybe forever). Anyway, her mother likes to walk around my yard. She wants Elephant Ear leaves for cooking (and she is welcome to them). Does anyone else here cook Elephant Ears? I think she cooks them with Jalapena peppers. We talk and I don't understand a word she says nor does she understand me, it's interesting.

her saris are beautiful.

theo

Comments (5)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Hmm, I'm not at all sure that our elephant ears are edible. Some varieties are, but others are extremely toxic. Wouldn't do it unless you know for sure you've got taro rather than one of the ones that's chock full of calcium oxalates.

• theoj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since this lady has been back for more Elephant Ears since she has been here, it would seem that she knows what she wants. As I understand it, Elephant Ears are Alicasias but not all Alicasias are the same. I truly respect the knowledge of different peoples--she sees the other Alicasias with a different facial expression as the Elephant Ears. Not all language is in words. She has invited me over, however I don't plan to eat Elephant Ears, and I don't like Jalapenos.
    theo

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I've eaten both the roots and leaves and give me anything as a substitute lol They are a major part of the diet in tropical areas . Hawaii has the famous "poi"
    Which in my opinion would make wonderful wall paper paste?? Of course I don't even like Guacamole or mashed potatoes . gary

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The problem here is the use of the expression "Elephant Ears" without any qualification of what is actually being talked about. Species of Alocasia, Colocasia, Cyrtosperma and Xanthosoma are important foods for a very large part of the worlds population. They're almost like what potatoes are to the European/Western world. Although you don't say it, I assume you're talking about Colocasia esculenta. That's the only one that I know that people eat its leaves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Colocasia esculenta is a common food in most parts of the world. I've eaten some at a cuban restaurant in Ybor city and liked it a lot more than plantain.

Copied from Wiki "taro" article (which has cultural culinary info for a ton of different countries.):

Toxicity

The plant is inedible when raw and considered toxic due to the presence of calcium oxalate[6][7] crystals, typically as raphides. The toxin is minimized by cooking,[8] especially with a pinch of baking soda. It can also be reduced by steeping taro roots in cold water overnight. Calcium oxalate is highly insoluble and contributes to kidney stones. It has been recommended to take milk or other calcium rich foods with taro.[9] Taro leaves also must be handled with care due to toxicity of the leaves, but are completely safe after cooking.[citation needed]

Culinary use

The corms, which have a light purple color due to phenolic pigments[10], are roasted, baked or boiled and the natural sugars give a sweet nutty flavor. The starch is easily digestible and grains are fine and small and often used for baby food. The leaves are a good source of vitamins A and C and contain more protein than the corms.