Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How's everyone holding up - Issac

Posted by teka2rjleffel z10FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 18:12

We're getting pounded by rain, but no damage so far. How about you guys?
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How's everyone holding up - Issac

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 18:28

We are getting the rain and some wind, but doing good so far. :o) Glad to hear you are doing good too.

o

Lost a 40-foot sapodilla. Very sad to see it go. But it was old and it very politely fell away from my pool, not doing the expensive damage it could have done.
Only lost power here in Miami for 20 minutes.
But now I have to move some shade-loving plants that are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow morning when the sun comes out.

o

Sorry to hear that you lost your sapodilla. It was very considerate for it to fall away from the pool. I can relate to the shade lovers. My neighbor decided to cut back his ugly shrubs along the fence. Ugly or not, they were 12' tall and did a nice job of providing shade. I had to scramble to figure it out until they grew back in again.

o

Thanks Teka. It was a great tree to the end. And, we've discovered, diseased and full of termites. So it was its time. I've never seen a sapodilla as big as ours in Miami. There is one in the parking lot of Morgans that approaches it, but still isn't as big. Trees do get old and die, just like people.
Ah well.

o

So far it's been quiet here in Central Florida. A little rain, but nothing to get excited about yet. I gathered up all my cuttings and put them in the shed though. While we're not supposed to see much at all in the way of damaging winds, heavy rain, etc., they were predicting 40 mph gusts, which would have sent my little cuttings pots all over the yard. Still, I mostly emptied my rain buckets in expectation of heavier rain, but so far, no go.

Well wishes and crossed fingers for the folks living closer to the coast.

o

It's wet and windy now. My chaya fell over but it was time to pull it out and start over. All the orchids are in the garage and patio. I'm going stir crazy.

o

We're supposed to get 1-2 inches of rain. Quite windy today, but I'm not sure if it was from that. I think we are too far north to be affected yet. Possible isolated tornadoes. I hope not on the latter.

o

Nothing. Some plants blew over this morning so I spent an hour putting everything in the garage and atrium...then nothing. no rain but sprinkles, light wind, cloudy but nothing else. Boring. Thank God.

o

Here in NW Florida (Panama City), it's been a tad windy - maybe 10-12 miles per hour, but no rain yet.

I have a couple of potted Plumerias blown over, but I'm leaving them right where they are - no sense in standing them back up, only to fall over again and possibly break.

I brought all of my wind chimes in yesterday and my hanging baskets are all sitting on the ground in protected areas, so we are in a 'wait-and-see' mode right now.

o

We've had many inches of rain. We've had to drain down the pool four times today. As soon as the deluges slows a bit we're going to do it again before we go to bed. The wind is starting to whip and we're getting thunder and lightening. We have two leaks in the roof. All in all we're holding our own, Still no power outages. A bunch are out.

o

Hi
After Jeanne Frances and Wilma a gentle wind and light rain. oh well the season is still young?? gary

o

We've had gust up to 38 mph and since midnight about an inch of rain. We are very wet here in Jensen and Stuart!

o

TS Debby hit our area very hard with rain, still hasn't dried out, so I'm very nervous about more. I'm not concerned about wind, it's the flooding.

o

Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 7:10

We've drained the pool 4 or 5 times too and this morning it was filled to the top about to over flow, so I got it draining again now. But so far that's all the damage.

Hope all fare well through this. Coffeemom, I'm stir crazy too. I told Ralph I need to find an indoor hobby for times like this. lol

o

light sprinkles this morning, supposed to get lots more this afternoon. Will lay down tall plants, etc this morning.

o

Woke up this morning to the sound of gust of wind blowing by, definitely wasn't loud enough to be a tornado, but still a strong wind. When I walked out the front door to take the kids to school, I saw that Mr. Isaac had decided that it was high time that I replaced the top screen of my lanai door, so I will be taking care of that today, winds permitting.

After getting home, I did a perimeter walk to check on the yard. Aside from my Oregano pot being toppled (but not moved) everything was fine. One rain bucket has been filled and two others have about another gallon to go. But according to radar, there's still lots more rain and wind to come.

o

No problems here in Sarasota....Debbie was far worse.
I did haul some pots into the garage along with hanging plants but it was not necessary. Some rain last night - a bit windy - but all in all , pretty good.
Hope you all in North Florida get through it ok
Hester

o

Wow, today has been lots worse today (Mon) than yesterday was. We have had 12 inches of rain since it started and many tornado watches since midnight. Property damage in Vero from one, no injuries.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?product=NCR&loop=no&rid=amx

the radar has looked like this without stopping, more continuous thunder than I have ever experienced for such an extended time period.

o

Sorry to hear about Vero. I used to live there and still know alot of people there. Sorry some of you are really getting it! Just some wind here and a few sprinkles.

o

Our power is out (at least it was when I left for work)and many streets/yards are flooded. It's been pouring rain since yesterday evening, so I'm sure some plants are damaged but I can't get out and check yet.

o

Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 7:59

Lot's of flooding here in PSL, but I don't seem to have much damage from the wind. Couldn't get the water out of the pool fast enough yesterday even with two hoses going to drain it. Thankfully it's not raining now and I think the worst has passed. It was a feeder band that broke of Issac and just sat here pouring rain.

How is everyone else??

o

I spent hours moving plants, windchimes, orchids, garden ornaments, orchids, lanai furniture, orchids, securing the chickens oh and moving orchids. I am happy to say I was way over prepaired, our weather has been mild with some nice strong wind gusts and little rain. The worst part for me was a neighbor had some of my leaves blow into her yard and panicked. She got on her ladder and leaned over and cut 2 bananas as far back as she could reach then threw the cuttings in my yard, right neighborly dont you think.

Sorry about your sopadilla, its always hard to lose a loved plant or tree. Also sorry to hear of damage in Vero but glad everyone is ok.

o

Sadly, some people think that anything that sours their pristine grassy lawn in any way shape or form is a force to be reckoned with. Sorry to hear that your neighbor is one of those people. That said, if she had to lean over your fence to cut the tree and the tree was not leaning over the fence/property line... then I think she broke a law of some sort. Not that much would come of calling the police... it would just create more animosity.

o

Just to follow up on what Leekle said, if the lady leaned into your yard to cut your bananas, she trespassed, which is both a civil and a criminal offense. I don't know whether you want to make anything of it or not, but there it is.

o

If anything, I would say that if you are on any kind of speaking terms with this lady, I would, as politely as possible, inform her of the law, the fact that she broke it and if she did so again, that you WOULD call the police. That if she has any problems with anything in your yard, that she should approach you with those issues rather than taking things into her own hands and breaking the law once more. Again, politely. As I said earlier, this will likely just cause more animosity, even if you are polite, and have her complaining about every little thing, but at the same time, you shouldn't have to put up with her cutting up your plants.

o

Keiki, others have made the point of your neighbor breaking a law. It may create more problems to report it since probably no one saw it. On the other hand, then next time maybe your neighbor won't be so quick to do your pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here