Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alys_esmond

Mystery Passion Flower

I'm so bummed...

I've been waiting and WAITING for my "P. mollissima" seeds that I purchased on Amazon to finally flower and I get this small, pasty, pale flower.

So, any thoughts on what it is? The leaves are about 3 - 3 1/2" across (quite delicate really compared to my other vines). The flower was already starting to give up after getting beaten by heavy rain, but the colour is pretty accurate in this picture.

Comments (12)

• Tom
    11 years ago

Could be an Incense.

Did you plant it for the flowers? It should be very good as a host plant for the Fritillaries and Zebra Longwings. It looks like a caterpillar has already started to chew on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Incense

• alys_esmond USDA 5b Toronto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not one to turn up my nose to passi flowers. I am absolutely gobsmacked by these amazing structures. But I wanted FRUIT!

I know some incarnata fruit are OK to eat; my incensia's fruits are definitely NOT :-) If green had a flavour, that would be it.

The frittaries love it! I have two edulis in planters that I started the same time that get the occasional cat, but there always seems to be an orange shimmering cloud around this plant. I scrape off eggs and move hatchlings daily.

• Tom
    11 years ago

Doesn't look like you are going to get the fruit you want, so maybe just enjoy the butterflies that will be gracing your yard?

I have a number of different passion vines for butterflies--never thought of getting fruit from them. You know people who do?

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Tom 123

I know one person that likes passion fruit, it's me! I grew up eating them fresh, drinks or ice cream.:) maracuya, granadilla and taxo are calling my name,lol.

Hi Alys

Were you trying to grow p.mollissima also know as banana passion fruit? it is one of my favorite ice cream flavors. I think that I tried to grow it here few years back and also other kinds that are edible but were killed by the frost.
    I have lillikoi passion fruits from Hawaii and if you want to try them, I can mail you some...if interested send me your address.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: lillikoi

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sylvia,
    yup, I'd been trying for banana passion fruit. Sigh. I have them in a planter so I could move them inside for frost. Guess I can plant this guy in the ground now. More food for the flutter-bys!
    I also planted lillikoi seeds (in a planter), but they're from the same vendor, so until I get a flower, who knows? How do you grow yours? In the ground? How do they over-winter? I've also got some seedlings from the seeds of a Hawaiian golden passion fruit (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing) and have run out of planters. I was going to try them in the ground. What do you think?
    Mmmmm.... maracuya! Ice cream memories! I love passion fruit. I want fruit, dammit!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

It looks a lot like a passiflora I had once upon a time - fruits were quite sour. Mine died out after a couple of years.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Alys - I have not planted the lillikoi seeds yet, they were bought in Hawaii.
    The other passion fruit that I had, I planted them in the garden and they grew well but we had a bad winter and I did not protected them and they were gone. I would put one in a container and other of the same kind in the ground and see how they do, especially if you want to get fruit. Granadilla is best to eat fresh don't need to add any sweet. Maracuya can be used as a juice and some sweet added. It is usually served hot with cane sugar liquor. Banana passion fruit needs to add sweet, can be used in juices or ice cream and that is how it tastes the best.
    Good luck with your passion fruit growing and let us know if you get fruits...

Hi Carol - Maybe you had one of the above passion fruits. The two have to be juiced, strained and added sugar.

Silvia

• rednofl
    11 years ago

It looks similar to the wild ones growing along the power line slash behind the Greenway trail. I went down there at the end of my run looking for Beauty berry plants. There was a large area that was covered with passion flower vines. I brought home one of the green Fruits. It smells wonderful. does anyone know if it will ripen off the vine.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

They grow wild here and to answer your question no, they will not ripen off the vine. You have to wait until they fall and collect them from the ground. The fruit is wonderful, sweet and flavorful. We have a 150 yard run of silverthorn bushes down the road that is loaded with them and I make a habit of picking them up. In season I make sure to drive past each morning.

• rednofl
    11 years ago

I will do a bit more exploring on my next run. I have a feeling some hungry animal will beat me to it.

• rosarama
    11 years ago

I'VE HAD a purple passi for years and it has borne fruit. The fruit is acid until it is fully ripe, when it is very very sweet. The only problem is that eating it is more trouble than it is worth because there are more seeds than flesh.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wellll...
    I done got a fruit off it!
    Technically three. One, some critter got to first, there was just two halves of the shell on the ground for me to muse over. I figured it must have tasted good, cuz there were ONLY the shells left :-)
    The second I spotted after it had fallen and I rushed to pick it up and taste it... sliced it open to find two, yup two, seeds inside, but they were coated with delectable orange slime. So this gave me hope for the fruit that developed from the flower in the picture I started this thread with.
    Yesterday I was out making my daily inspection of the green golfball-sized fruit that has literally not changed in appearance for six weeks. I turned away to look at the first flower bud on my "Lillikoi" vine (still haven't confirmed if that is what it's supposed to be) that's been promising to open for 3 days now when I heard a "TOK" sound behind me. I actually stopped, confused, and said "TOK?" inside my head, then realized that it must have been the fruit falling off!
    Yup. It fell off. Without any help from me or the wind. Green on the outside, golden yellow jelly on the inside, stuffed full and very tasty. Well worth the wait.

Now all I've got to do is protect it over the winter and figure out how to get more fruits for next year :-/

This is clearly the native P. incarnata. The Gulf Fritillaries LOVE it and right now the Zebra Longwings are clouding around it. Neither species seem to give a hoot about the two huge P. edulis vines right next door, nor the P. i. incense plants that a number of neighbours grow.

Gardening is FUN :-)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals