Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana leaves turning yellow

Posted by babalu_aye z9b - St Pete, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 18:27

I've got a Dwarf Cavendish banana that over the past week or so has all of its leaves turning yellow. As you can see in the photo below, even the new leaf that's unfurling is yellow and brown. Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem? Up to this point it has been green and healthy. The pup growing next to it looks fine. I've been feeding it Black Hen, keeping it mulched and watered.

Thanks,
John

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana leaves turning yellow

Has it ever fruited? If so, it's normal for it to die. If not, you may have been overwatering and it may have root rot. I water mine only if it doesn't rain for 3 days. I usually have dying leaves in the summer during heavy rains, though.

o

It has never fruited. This was a pup that came up from the ground after last January's freeze.

It is in a spot near where water runs off of the garage roof, so when it rains it gets a lot of water. But I thought that bananas love lots of water.

John

o

They love water, but nothing likes wet feet all the time. They are prone to root rot. Maybe you should move it.

o
RE: Banana leaves turning yello.w

"Banana plants are not flood tolerant. In general, plants may survive 24 to 48 hours of flooding caused by moving water. Stagnant water kills plants quickly. Bananas should not be planted in flood-prone areas. In areas where the water table is high and/or frequent soil saturation or very brief flooding occurs, planting on beds is recommended. Symptoms of continuously wet but not flooded soil conditions include plant stunting, leaf yellowing, and reduced yields. "

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Florida: Banana Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

o

I think you nailed it.
Thanks,
John

o

Hi. I grow banana plants outdoors in South UK.
They died back over winter but are now coming well but yellow. We did not have rain in April so I watered but the leaves were green but are now yellow. I gess I over watered. Have now stopped so will see what happens.
I did get two to fruit last year but they are not large enough to eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here