Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
turmeric question

Posted by natives_and_veggies 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 18:31

Anyone grown turmeric before? I bought some corms a year or so ago, planted them in an out of the way place and promptly forgot about them.
I found them today. Healthy plants. Yay! So I decided to dig one to see what I had. Hmmm. The bulb - and that's all I got - was smaller than the corm I planted. Granted, I dug the smaller of the two plants, and the one that had been damaged by other work I was doing in the yard. So I probably didn't lose anything by digging this too early.

But I'm wondering, how long does it take to get a clump of turmeric that can maintain itself, even as you slice off pieces for cooking. We use a lot of turmeric and I'd love to be growing it for cooking. But so far this experiment seems to have failed. I would have probably been better off using the corms I bought rather than planting them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: turmeric question

Natives,

I grow mine in pots and they fill the pots by the end of the season. I was thinking of trying a large tub this time but didn't get around to it. -J

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 7:04

How do you use it then in cooking? Do you slice it or chop it like garlic? I have only used the dried powder I bought.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 8:33

Hi Susannah

Turmeric is very easy to grow, just from one corm that I planted I get a lot of them to use it or share. The flower is very pretty usually around this time. But the real bargain is the Indian store in my area where I get almost a lifetime supply for less than a little jar at any of the local stores.
I have a small patch growing now close to the fence, they prefer some shade.

The flower

photo August2012_016.jpg

Silvia

o

wow Silvia. The flower is pretty. I haven't seen mine flower yet, but it's in an out of the way area of the yard, so it could have and I missed it. The larger of the two plants is still in the ground and undamaged.
Do they need a lot of water? That may be the issue. This is near the house, so it gets shade from the eaves, but that also probably cuts down on the rain it gets.

o

Yes they are easy to grow as Sylvia stated but curcumas do require consistent watering in zone 10.

o

I would like to plant some. Where do you find it? Thank

o

I would like to plant some. Where do you find it? Thank

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 14:34

Susannah, I do the same care as a ginger, mine get the water from the sprinkles in summer twice a week or when it rains.

Dclegg, look for turmeric root in the grocery store around the same area like gingers.

Silvia

o

Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 7:06

No one has answered my question, how do you use it? Like you would garlic?

o

Thinking using fresh turmeric would be more like using fresh ginger…?

o

Yep, the recipes I've read compare it ginger and suggest grating it.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 5:24

I plant it under my banana trees so it gets lots of water and some shade it took a few years but its really took off ...

o

I find that Turmeric is easy to grow,it does like some shade and water twice a week at least like Silvia said. I plant both in pot and in ground. Also add some fertilizer.
Katkin, I do not use it to cook with but I use it to make tea for pain and inflammation.
I find that about an inch of Turmeric mashed in a cup of hot water let steep for 10 min. gives me relief from arthritis pain.
If you do a Google search on "How to cook with Turmeric" I'm sure you'l find a treasure trove of information.
Carmen

o

Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 7:25

Thanks Carmen. I do use ground cumin for cooking, I just wasn't sure how to prepare fresh cumin. I'll have to try it for arthritis. I've got plenty of that. Now I just have to find some fresh.

o

Katkin!!!! good morning! Did you have your coffee yet LOL

We are talking 'turmeric' not 'Cumin' LOL OK one more cup should do it.
Blessings,
carmen

o

Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 9:42

LOL, yes I had my tea, but still goofed up. I knew in my head turmeric, but somehow typed cumin. I have both and use both in my cooking. In fact we put turmeric in our scrambled eggs this morning.

o

Hi Katkin,
I grow tumeric & use it very often. Be careful when handling cut tumeric rhizomes, it stains your hands, apron, whatever porous. In Asia, tumeric is used to enhance the basic mix of shallots & garlic but not used on its own. It also goes well with lemongrass & onions. These combos are always chopped or mashed into paste & used as marinades or fried till fragrant then meat & veggies added to the pan.
Try Tumeric Fried Chicken, it's very basic. (I hope link works.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tumeric Fried Chicken

o

Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 7:08

Thanks LittleFern, I have plenty of lemongrass growing. The link worked and the chicken looks very good, I'll have to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here