Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

morningloree: RE: beauty berry bush

cocoabeachlorax
10 years ago

Hello,

I was reading the other thread regarding the slaughter of the beauty berry bushes and saw your response. Do they grow from the berries ?

Do yours have berries ?

what kind of conditions do they like ?

If the first two answers are yes, could I send you a SASE for some berries ?

Comments (14)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Yes, they grow from the berries. Last fall I clipped about a 6 inch length from a bush near my post office. That gave me about 4 nodes worth of berries. I brought them home and threw them all into 8" pot hoping at least one would sprout. Come spring I was in a mad rush trying to find enough pots for 60+ Beautyberry seedlings. Now I have several planted in my yard and quite a few still in pots. None of them bloomed this year. Hopefully they will next spring.

Edit:

Oh, and they don't seem to be too picky about location. I have some growing in shade, part shade and full sun, though the full sun ones have put on the most growth. They don't like having their roots sitting in wet soil though and prefer quick drainage. I had one in a pot with heavy soil and it rotted pretty quick.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:23

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

It is too early for mature seeds yet I think, here they are still green. They are edible, have a anise flavor.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

The berries are not quite ripe, I can pot a few plants if you like or send some seeds when they ripen. It grows in poor soil, shade or part shade. Let me know.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd love some seeds when they're ready. No rush here, just let me know. I love anything that the wildlife can enjoy.

• User
    10 years ago

They grow wild all over our garden! I leave one or two for the fall color and the wildlife.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wallisadi, would you have any seeds mature enough for me to try sprouting ?

• User
    10 years ago

I'll look for plants, sure I missed a few smaller ones.

• User
    10 years ago

starting to turn.....

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Walli, do I see grass behind the leaves? I didn't know that you had any lawn left! I have always just seen gorgeous pathways full of trees, canopies and lush plants. Or would that be the neighbor's lawn, hehe?

Carol

• echobelly
    10 years ago

I'm jeoulous! I bought 3 beauty berry bushes a few years ago to add to a native area of my property. I planted them close together as I noticed they can be a little sparse. Each one has only one branch that sticks straight up. The squirrels always bite off the tip with the berries. Maybe I'll try covering some and hopefully get some seeds to start more plants.

• User
    10 years ago

Neighbors.....no grass fo me. That bush is out in the garden in the culdesac, circa.....1950's......not just asphalt, but a garden in the center......:). We take care of that tooo. Beauty berries here, all volunteers !

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

As promised by all, my "slaughtered" Beautyberry bushes have fully recovered!

• morningloree
    10 years ago

The berries are just about ready. I will try to send you an email.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, but for this northerner, beauty berry is quite possibly one of the coolest shrubs I've yet laid my eyes on-on two consecutive Dec. visits to the Fort Myers region. Fantastically beautiful plants!

+oM