Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
morningloree: RE: beauty berry bush

Posted by cocoabeachlorax 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:04

Hello,

I was reading the other thread regarding the slaughter of the beauty berry bushes and saw your response. Do they grow from the berries ?

Do yours have berries ?

what kind of conditions do they like ?

If the first two answers are yes, could I send you a SASE for some berries ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: morningloree: RE: beauty berry bush

Yes, they grow from the berries. Last fall I clipped about a 6 inch length from a bush near my post office. That gave me about 4 nodes worth of berries. I brought them home and threw them all into 8" pot hoping at least one would sprout. Come spring I was in a mad rush trying to find enough pots for 60+ Beautyberry seedlings. Now I have several planted in my yard and quite a few still in pots. None of them bloomed this year. Hopefully they will next spring.

Edit:

Oh, and they don't seem to be too picky about location. I have some growing in shade, part shade and full sun, though the full sun ones have put on the most growth. They don't like having their roots sitting in wet soil though and prefer quick drainage. I had one in a pot with heavy soil and it rotted pretty quick.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:23

o

It is too early for mature seeds yet I think, here they are still green. They are edible, have a anise flavor.

o

The berries are not quite ripe, I can pot a few plants if you like or send some seeds when they ripen. It grows in poor soil, shade or part shade. Let me know.

o

I'd love some seeds when they're ready. No rush here, just let me know. I love anything that the wildlife can enjoy.

o

They grow wild all over our garden! I leave one or two for the fall color and the wildlife.

o

Wallisadi, would you have any seeds mature enough for me to try sprouting ?

o

I'll look for plants, sure I missed a few smaller ones.

o

photo beautyberyy2013_zpsb64e937d.jpg starting to turn.....

o

Walli, do I see grass behind the leaves? I didn't know that you had any lawn left! I have always just seen gorgeous pathways full of trees, canopies and lush plants. Or would that be the neighbor's lawn, hehe?

Carol

o

I'm jeoulous! I bought 3 beauty berry bushes a few years ago to add to a native area of my property. I planted them close together as I noticed they can be a little sparse. Each one has only one branch that sticks straight up. The squirrels always bite off the tip with the berries. Maybe I'll try covering some and hopefully get some seeds to start more plants.

o

Neighbors.....no grass fo me. That bush is out in the garden in the culdesac, circa.....1950's......not just asphalt, but a garden in the center......:). We take care of that tooo. Beauty berries here, all volunteers !

o

As promised by all, my "slaughtered" Beautyberry bushes have fully recovered!

o

The berries are just about ready. I will try to send you an email.

o

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, but for this northerner, beauty berry is quite possibly one of the coolest shrubs I've yet laid my eyes on-on two consecutive Dec. visits to the Fort Myers region. Fantastically beautiful plants!

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here