Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crushed shell driveway....

Posted by echobelly (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 19:05

I bought a house a couple of years ago with a long crushed shell driveway leading to a guest house on the back of the property. The driveway isn't used often, and is full of grass and weeds (I have to mow it). Is there any way to keep it clear, other than dowsing it with Round-up? I cleared a small section and raked it out smooth, and boy did the weeds love it, it's greener than much of my yard! I think disturbing it just planted all the seeds waiting to sprout.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crushed shell driveway....

Horticultural vinegar? Or, rake it all out, lay out weed block, rake it all back in. won't keep out new seeds though.

Sounds really cool though.

~dianne

o

Echo - if I was a smart-alack I'd say invite me over to plant tomatoes in your driveway - that way we'd guarantee nothing will grow there - I can't get them to grow anywhere.

If you are really against RoundUp a mixture of vinegar and salt will kill the weeds. Just be careful, if it leaches into your yard it will kill everything there also. I tried it once and then went back to RoundUp.

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 6:22

After you get all the weeds out there is a sand with an additive they use with the pavers that dries hard like concrete. You might spread that over the shells and water it in. You'd have to ask around at the box stores about it's name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here