Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes, they're alive!

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 19:42

So, I'm always experimenting with containers and grew some Granex onions this spring on the east side of my house in shade all day. They didn't get very big but are great in recipes that call for small onions. PROBLEM, look what they are doing NOW stored in my Laundry Room!

Tom

P1040438

P1040439

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes, they're alive!

woops! Maybe you can keep them alive until planting time and replant them. Its only a few weeks away.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 8:06

Hi Tom

Because it is warmer than other years, I put a lot of things that I normally leave them outside in the freezer before they went bad. I cooked all the big winter squashes and froze them in freezer bags that can be stacked up easily and used later in recipes. I didn't freeze any onions because with the amount of cooking that I do, I had none left and the request at the house is, "plant more onions, they are so good!"

Silvia

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 19:28

Tina - that's a possibility but I'd rather start some seed 9/1 and transplant the starts either in December or January. I'm having too much fun watching these babies sprout but I may just plant them as I'd have a hard time sending them to a saute death now :-) :-(

Silvia - it does get rather warm in the Laundry Room on weekends when the dryer gets fired up but I love cooking these baby onions whole ;-)

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here