Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Tanglefoot and Lizards

Posted by hopsalot 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 20:18

Anyone know how to keep lizards and other beneficial critters from getting caught in Tree Tanglefoot collars? I would like to make some collars for my fruit trees to prevent ants from crawling on them but I'd hate to see the green anoles that are currently on the trees from getting caught. Thanks, Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Tanglefoot and Lizards

I would get the lizards on my fly tape in the horse barn and it gets ugly trying to pull them off. No way to save them once they get stuck on it. I can't think of any way to prevent them from getting on it, on the trees.

o

Seems they go after the bugs that are stuck and also get stuck themselves. I don't know of any way of preventing them from getting stuck too.

Lou

o

I'm wondering why the ants are undesirable in the fruit trees in the 1st place? They can help w/ pollination & I can't think of any serious damage they'd do....?

o

Carol,
The ants bring aphids onto the trees and start their aphid farms that suck the juices out of the fruit trees and weaken them. The ants eat the honeydew that the aphids make.

Lou

o
RE:Ants & aphids

FWIW, I understand that's a bit of a myth. Ants WILL harvest the honeydew from aphids & maybe even move some around, but they do not bring them - the aphids find their food all on their own & reproduce rapidly & ants are simply taking advantage of an opportunity.

So wouldn't dealing w/ the aphids, rather than ants be more useful? I have a number of fruit trees & grapevines that are always full of ants(& lizards too) & I've never had enough aphid damage to amount to much of anything - not even when the plants were small. I generally allow Nature to take its course & the aphid infestations are soon being gobbled up by insect predators - & I've often observed aphid 'mummies' that were infected by a fungus that kills them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here