Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New weed overtaking my backyard

Posted by irma_stpete_home 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 20:36

My sandy, unkept, sunny/shady back yard is jammed full of a weed that was barely here before. I cannot find a pic on any FL weed pic collection online (and sorry, I can't download my own pic). It looks like clover on steroids, but stands 8" high and the white flower is very tiny. Anyone recognize?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New weed overtaking my backyard

Oxalis?

o

I'm on my way to buy a thingamabob to connect my camera to computer to download a pic.

But, since I wrote the following, thinking I could then find this weed online, here's my effort:

Forget what I wrote in entry #1.
Almost all in shade.
Now up to 14" high.
Top of plant looks like a very, very poor man's Baby's Breath .
Beginning at bottom of plant:
Taproot + branching roots from tap.
1" thru 2" above ground begins few branches.
Branches do not re-branch for 8" to 10".
Leaves are very faintly hairy on both surfaces.
Leaves alternate every 2", except at top of stem where re-branching occurs where they are opposite.
Leaves on stem oval to round, show very slight indentation(s).
Leaves after branching near top are oval.
At top of plant are flowers on 1/2" to 1" stem, usually from 2 stems that branch from end of 2" stem.
Flowers are tiny, white, accompanied by larger 3-part (indented) tiny (head of pin or smaller) green seed pod (?).

What surprises me is that as closely as I've examined this (weed) I can't find it online.

Does seem that the photo collections of "weeds" for identifying are comprised 50% of marijuana weed photos. LOL

o

I think I know what you're referring to - it reminds me of an ground cover that everyone was buying last year or so - something in the spurge family (milky sap when broken) - a white flowering spurge w/ a name something like 'crystal palace' or 'silver palace' or similar…? I had bought some that died out & then this came in the same area & started spreading like crazy.

o

Carol, you are so right! Great photo. Thank you!
Likely I (and you?) brought this plant home as a hitchhiker in a store-bought plant. If we can't find a name, I'll try to put it on the weed forum.
Irma

o

You're welcome - & I was wondering if it may be a volunteer from the original, which might've been a hybrid…?

o

Don't forget you can take weeds in to your extension office for identification. I recently had to do this for a volunteer that quite quickly grew to shrub size. They were a bit stumped, but within a day I had a positive ID: Paper Mulberry, an invasive shrub/tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here