Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, please

Posted by alys_esmond 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 21:29

This plant is growing up my Slash Pine.

Leaves are between 12" and 18" long. It gets killed back by frost, but comes right back. I've never seen a flower.
I know from the old Google Maps street-view pic of our house that it used to cover the entire trunk of the tree, but now there's just the one "stem".
If you ignore the leaves, the structure is growing like a Philodendron.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, please

It is a philodrendon. I know this because a friend gave me a little variegated philodendon house plant. For the fun of it, I planted it at the base of an oak tree and it ended up looking just like the plant in your picture. It sure surprised me!

Christine

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 7:11

For some reason the leaves get massive when they grow up a tree, the same plant will remain small if it grows along the ground like it would normally. :o)

o

FWIW, I believe this plant is a.k.a. 'Devil's Vine', mainly because of how humongous it gets once planted outside.

o

Probably Epipremnum.

o

It's a golden Pothos plant. Potted, it's a long, long vine. If you plant it in the ground near a tree, it eventually starts growing up it, often covering the trunk in a jumble of branching vines. As time passes you'll find fewer and fewer leaves, but each leaf starts reaching the size of an elephant ear.

I've added a photo from my own back yard

o

Forgot to mention, it's considered a Epipremnum aureum, an aroid.

o

Well I'll be darned!

I have Golden Pothos growing with other plants in planters in the house and in the patio and one on the ground in a bed. Now that I look at it, there's no question the similarity.

Thanks everyone. Mystery solved.

Alys

o

It is called Golden Pothos, the scientific name being Epipremnum aureum. But shouldn't be confused with plants of the genus Pothos, which it doesn't belong to. There's over 60 species of "genuine" Pothos.

This is Pothos longipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here