Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachlilyfl

Repotting Catt orchids

beachlily z9a
10 years ago

Since last summer I've wanted to repot my new orchids that are in plastic pots. I have all my orchids in bark and clay and like it that way. However, kept putting it off until the orchids quit growing late in the fall and it was too late to do anything with them. Well, I added a few this year, also in plastic pots.

On Sunday I vowed I would do the deed. So the pots were cleaned and soaked and the bark went into a pail to soak. Monday morning was a bit cooler and the screen porch was shaded so the work began. Heavy scissors to cut the plastic, a pail for discards, a pail to soak the plants--what else do you need? Well, a tiny screwdriver and long-nosed tweezers were hauled out when I found the sphagnum moss was compacted on every plant. It took nearly 9 hours to repot 6 medium to large Cattleya orchids! On one plant, I could track 3 transplants that had been made from a small pot to a bigger pot. Couldn't believe the plant looked as good as it did!

After this, my attitude at orchid sales has to change. I always ignore the bare-root plants offered by many vendors, but now they seem to be a better option, at least for me. Start them right and not have to fight with them at repotting time! The orchids look good now, let's see if the changes result in more blooms next year. Fingers are crossed!

Comments (11)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i've used crushed lava rock because mine are exposed to the rains.. Never breaks down ,,can't overwater, and easy to pull weeds even boston fern.
    Recently worked on a large Catt that was growing on formed tree fern. Impossible to remove and damaged it considerably . I stuck it in a casssia tree among my phal group. igrow several epicatts on trees ,first time with large flowered catts . Usually don't experiment with the expensive ones lol gary

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Gary, how often do you need to water them planted in rock? I see that many are coming that way now. Mine are on the lanai and I water once a week or so, but they are in bark or moss.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

If in clay pots the general rule is twice a week. I don't use moss in clay pots. When I use clay I want to be able to add a lot of water. The moss will conflict. I like moss when mounting on cork or a tree. Orchids should be repotted on the medium not in the medium. 1 or 2 rhizome clips should hold it firm. Properly potted they can be watered every day which is my preference.

I think the best way to learn how to pot an orchid is to be shown by someone that knows. There is a lot written on it, but I think this is one of those things better shown.

Beachlily- I'd invite you over to show you my methods but I know it is too far. Check to see if there is a local orchid society. American Orchid Society has a list of affiliates.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mr. Monkey, thanks for the invite. I was just venting! I've grown orchids for nearly 20 years, and you'd think I'd learn! Never have lost an orchid to repotting but one forgets the pain of that task. When I repot my established orchids, its a piece of cake because the bark is much easier to remove and it doesn't pack like the moss. I'm just amazed that the plants in moss have survived on the patio, some 1.5 years, waiting for me to do my thing. Some have coaxed me by blooming like fools ... it just took me a long time to get around to it.

Yes, I do make sure the plants are perched on top of the bark, with the roots stabilizing them. They get rain and air loaded with salt and they don't care! Have to love them!

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I like the grey rock but can't find it anywhere. I bought some a few years ago and now don't see it. I refuse to pay shipping for rock.

Gary, I have had problems with lava rock with certain plants. It seems to hold water and fertilizer and I've had salt buildup. Of course I was growing in NY then, now it rains every day in Florida so probably wouldn't be such a problem.

Beachlily, I would be afraid to repot this time of the year. Usually growth has stopped and roots won't grow until next Spring. I would think you'd risk losing your flowers (or worse).

If I don't get to repotting in Spring, early summer, I put it off until the following Spring...which happen often!

I would love to find a supplier of the grey rock. I believe its from N. Carolina. I found it a few years ago at an orchid show in Sarasota and bought a few bags. I love this rock as its pieces are small enough to make potting easy and it doesn't seem to hold much moisture. I had bought a few plants from Odoms last year, and they were planted in that rock. I guess I should call them and make the trip.

Jane

10 years ago

I just got back from bushel stop. I got 2 bags of the red lava rock. $7 for a big bag. They have grey rock also.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jane, my plants are in full growth right now--new shoots, new roots, you name it. Over here on the other coast the weather will be mild until after Thanksgiving, so their growth will slowly taper down as the days shorten. Many of my catts bloom in the summer, so this is a good time for me to transplant. I'll keep you posted. I don't expect any problems.

10 years ago

Down here in 10b I repot as late as mid October. Yesterday I repotted a cattleya that has been in need for a while. Got 6 divisions. Last years division of the same plant bloomed this year. Gave several to friends and neighbors. It took a half hour to break it apart. And 45 minutes to pot the 6 plants. No moss to pick from the roots.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm 135 mi north of you, but we haven't had a freeze in the last 8 years--close, but not there. Being 100 ft from the beach, this climate is very moderate--warmer in the winter than inland, and cooler in the summer. Even with that, brutal heat! I prefer to transplant now because I have less to do and the orchids have a long gentle recovery period. Much better than spring which can heat up really early.

The weeds are laughing at me. Give me 6 more weeks and they will be toast! A bit cooler then.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I never liked lava rock. I prefer orchid bark. Just don't repot if they are in bloom or budded. That's what I was told by a grower. I only water my orchids once a week unless they are small. I used to work in a nursery that specialized in orchids. It sure was a fun job!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I worked for a man that grew alot of orchids, We barerooted them and cut off damaged and dead roots and repotted them in pots that had had been bleached for 1/2 an hour. It seemed to work well. Any orchid kiki that was too small to plant we made into a wall hanging on scrap wood using spaghnum moss to keep the roots wet. We pinned the orchids to scrap wood or drift wood and tied them down with florist tape. Most of them survived. A good seller for the nursery.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living