Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishklepp

Compost, Top soil, etc.

nishklepp
9 years ago

This is my third year vegetable gardening and I wanted to do it different this time. Our compost wasn't ready so I decided to look for places around the Orlando area (or close to it) that had free or reasonably priced compost preferably delivered to my home. Here is what I found:

1)Orange County Waste Management has FREE compost. I called and was told they only had it available at the main site now. From the website:

"Yard waste collected from Orange County homes is composted and made available to County residents at no charge. Get free compost at the Orange County Landfill between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. during days of operation. Requirements:

You must provide your own shovel and containers.
You can take up to one pickup truckload of compost.
You should call the Solid Waste Hotline to confirm compost availability."

5901 Young Pine Road
Orlando, FL 32829
407-836-6600
Open from all week from 8am-5pm

2)Monterey Mushroom Farm in Zellwood offers free to low price mushroom compost. I called them too and they said they were doing $15 for a truckload which isn't bad.

5949 Sadler Rd Zellwood, FL 32798,
(407) 905-4000.

3) Reynolds Dirt Service
407-376-6229

They can bring you 5 yards of 100% mushroom compost for a total price of $75.

10 yards $150

Dump truck load is approximately 15 yards $225

The price is more or less depending on location.
These prices are if you are within 10 miles of the facility in Apopka. If you are more than 10 miles an additional small fee will be added.

Rich dark black screened top soil. 5 yards delivered $200 Total.

Compost mix, This is Top soil and compost mixed together approximately 50/50. 5 yards $200 total.

I had 3 yard of mushroom compost delivered (I don't have a truck or know anyone with one) and the total cost to my home near winter park was $60. Free would have been better but it saved me time and the labor of having to shovel compost into a truck then back out into my garden bed.

I've heard nothing but good things from friends about the top two suggestions and I've experienced great things from the last. Hope this helps!