Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piri_gw

Can't find Pine Bark Fines in Central Florida :(

piri
15 years ago

Hi guys. I'm trying to make Al's container mix and I'm having the worst time finding pine bark of the right size.

I've been to Home Depot, Lowes in Casselberry and Sanford, Ace Hardware, and Lukas Nursery. No luck finding small pieces of pine bark. Anything that's small enough is cypress pulp, eucalyptus or rubber, and the pine bark that's available is all nuggets.

Any advice for picking this up in the Altamonte/Winter Springs/Sanford area? Sometimes it's called Soil Conditioner. Thanks for any advice, and thanks to Tomcanth for suggesting I post this here!

-Piri

Comments (18)

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure Bushel Stop carries it, do you have one close to you?

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

walmart here in deland carries it as pine MULCH, over in th esoil and mulch section. it used to be labeled "soil conditioner," but i guess no one bought it. $3 for a cubic yard. it does, indeed, make a really nice mulch. but an even better soil conditioner.

• ariel73
    15 years ago

Yes, I agree pine bark fines is hard to find.

I finally picked some up at Kerby's in Seffner/Brandon. But it wasn't cheap. I paid $5 for a small bag.

Good luck

• nativemel
    15 years ago

Pine bark fines can be found at Halls Feed and Seed in Apopka. Take State Rd 436 West toward Apopka, merge onto US 441 where SR 436 ends, turn left on Park Avenue, go one block and turn right, store is immediately on your right. The owner is an organic gardener. He usually has a few bags, but one call or visit to him and he will order it in whatever quantity you need. He's usually there at 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

• nativemel
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, and do not get lost or venture off from the directions I gave. That is not the nicest neighborhood to be cruising around in.

• greentfinger
    15 years ago

Here is an add from St Petersburg Times this morning: Mulch, free 15 yard delivery, For St Petersburg area, call 727-433-1461. I hope this can help you. Our neighbor got a load from them a few months ago. No problems either.

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

BWI in Apopka stocks pinebark fine under the name organic soil conditioner.

I'm going to check my Walmart this afternoon! No one close to Daytona stocks the stuff except for a small nursery in New Smyrna Beach.

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

the wholesaler for pine bark fines in central FL is floridamulchonline.com
    you can call their toll free # (on their website) and they'll tell you what retailer is in your area.
    they did it for me.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Piri,

See what I mean since you moved this question from the Container forum over here? If you want to buy a pickup truck load and are willing to come to Tampa two places here sell it by the yard (27CF), for $21. Mulch Express also has pine straw for top mulch...check out the thread below.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine fines in Tampa

• piri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Thanks for all the GREAT info everyone!
    I guess I'll be heading to Apopka in the morning.
    I had never thought to use reptile bark. I guess I could always have that as an emergency backup since it appears to be a bit expensive by volume.
    Thanks again!

• naomilovesflipflops
    15 years ago

Hi Piri,

Bolling Forest Products also carries the fines. May be closer to you than Apopka. It's in Longwood off of Markahm Woods Road. I'll link their site below. Good luck! :-)

Naomi

Here is a link that might be useful: Bolling Forest

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I got mine from Bolling Forest last year. They delivered a yard of it and I used it everywhere! It's my favorite soil amendment and I also use it as orchid medium. In a 50/50 mix with potting soil I use it in all container plantings.

Kate

• piri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, thanks guys. Longwood is in fact MUCH closer. I have so many options now. You guys rock!

• piri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went by Bolling Forest this morning. The rain was so bad I wasn't sure I was going to make it!
    I got two big bags for $2 and some change each. I told him he had better never leave Longwood! He said everyone who buys the stuff tell him he's the only one who carries it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm excited toget to repotting!

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Speaking of Al's mix . I can find PBF at bushel stop but I'm having trouble with "Turface" I can't even find a place that knows what the heck it is lol I did try "Oil Dri" but not sure if it's the same thing . Did well on the water test though. Anybody know where to find some in P.Beach county?/ gary

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I bought some garden soil from Wal-Mart recently that is 55-65% pine fines. Can't find my glasses, so can't read the ingredients to you right now, but it's made in Georgia, where they grow a lot of timber pine, so probably mostly loblolly fines. It's less than $5 a bag here, and comes with or without fertilizer. I've been using it with great success as a potting soil. The name is "Expert Gardener". This might work for you.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

gary, i use with great success al's mix, but all without the extras -- just fines, peat, vermiculite. then, correct the ph and add some micronutrients. fertilize regularly, per al's recommendations. (the iron is key!)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    I've had great success with the formula you mention also.
    That's why I wanted to try some of the others.lol
    Particularly interested in the container grown Roses..The main ingrediant is "Turface" . Whatever that is lol gary

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH