Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmcityfl

Growing Figs in Zone 10

palmcityfl
16 years ago

I'd like to grow a few varieties of figs in my Palm City yard. Are there some that are especially suited to Zone 10 in sunny, humid South Florida? Brown turkey figs are sold here, but I haven't seen any others at nurseries. Fig trees can grow large. Are they best suited to containers in this area? That way, they can be pruned and kept manageable.

Comments (20)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I didn't know any better and put mine in the ground, but I have been told it is best to keep them in containers due to the nematodes. Let's see what Lisa our fruit expert, and the others have to say.;o)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

My biggest problem has been the birds. They'll even eat them when the figs are still green.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I grow my figs in pots in store bought potting soil. THis is my first year-I got cuttings from someone on the fig forum early last winter. I've had some figs this year already-they are Celeste. UCDavis has free cuttings but Lisa above knows more about them. I am just beginning to learn about figs. Lisa's right, birds don't seem to bother them although it was a concern of mine.

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Palmcity,
    I am in zone 9. I planted three Brown Turkey, Fig trees in the ground. One is a puny little one that has never done anything but be attacked by nematodes. I am told to pluck it burn it and not plant anything in that place. I have another that is about 4 feet. Doing well but the winters are rough on her.
    Then I have My big one. I bought her big already. She is very healthy, produces big figs. We eat plenty but so do birds,wasps and little bugs that you can see in this picture.

Felix

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Felix, I can just about smell the sweetness of the Fig in your photo! They ooze nectar that attracts any living thing that loves sweetness. I admit to brushing/washing off bugs and eating the rest of such a delectable treat! YUMMY!!!!

You can make new plants from your one that is not doing well in its spot. Nematodes won't be passed on in cuttings. Figs naturally lose all leaves in winter. Don't let that scare you, it is normal.

The foliage of the one in your photo looks great!

Lisa, the Fig Fan!

• palmcityfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa, you're very kind to offer cuttings of your fig trees. I sent you an email through your website (very interesting). Brown turkey figs are readily available, but I haven't seen any of your other varieties in local nurseries. Richard Wilson at Excalibur is a tremendous source for rare tropical fruits. I didn't realize that he has fig trees. I recommend that anyone interested in fruit trees visit his nursery in Lake Worth. You'll learn so much from your visit and can sample rare fruits that he sells in his front yard.

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

PalmCity, please send the email to GCMastiffs at aol dot com. The GW emails do not work. I have not received an email from you via GW.

Aren't you in zone 9? My GW friends in Stuart, Palm City and Port St. Lucie consider it zone 9. Even on the water, freezes are common. But Figs don't care. They do fine in zone 9.

Fig cuttings are available free each winter from UC-Davis. So are lots of other cuttings. It is nice to get good plants for free, instead of paying $35 or more(G).

Locally, many folks will share cuttings with you as well.
    They grow fast from cuttings, and typically fruit within a year.

Lisa

• palmcityfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa, I thought that Palm City was Zone 9b, but when I registered for GardenWeb it asked my zip code and assigned Zone 10. I raised rare tropical fruits and palms at my former home in Davie, Zone 10b. I noticed that almost everything available at nurseries in Davie is available in Palm City. Maybe nurseries here are doing a little "zone pushing".

Gary in Palm City

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

It is very confusing, some of the maps show even PSL as the beginning of zone 10. So I always say I am 9b or 10a. Since I am on a canal, I am warmer then my in land friends in PSL. They will get a frost when I don't. One or two degrees makes a big difference when it comes to a frost. I grow lots of tropicals too. Through the years I have found zone 10 plants do better for me, most of zone 9 do not make it.
    Gary I could give you a cutting of brown turkey too.

• ladybugfalcon
    16 years ago

I'm in Palm City and have struggled with the zoning. All maps but two I've seen list us at zone 9b. I wouldn't be surprised if we're switched to zone 10 in the next decade.

• ben_in_sofla
    16 years ago

I've been trying to get figs to take off in south florida for a really long time and for several reasons, they will not EXPLODE like they do in Orlando and points north.
    Here is what I've found in my fig growing experience.

I've found that nematodes are a major problem in our sandy 'soil', if tree is to go in the ground, it will need a large area filled in with organic material and an agent for nematodes. After planting the tree, a heavy dose of mulch (4-5) inches and kept at that height is preferred. The moisture will deter the nematodes.

The planting location must be in full sun, breezy, well ventilated area and away other bug harbingers plants (areca palms, etc).
    This will reduce the problem with rust fungus and you will have rust fungus on the leaves once the daily storms start.
    If you want to go the extra mile, then spraying copper fungicide on top and bottom of leaves on a weekly basis is recommended. The problem with rust fungus is that leaves fall off once infected and a tree with few leaves is not a happy producing tree.

The last item on the list is not enough chilling hours in our 'winter' to force the tree to go dormant and get some needed rest. I know some people who have actually poured ice on the the base of the tree nightly to get the roots to chill for a few weeks in order to simulate 'winter'.

If grown in pot you can reduce the nematode problem by using quality potting soil, the other requirements still apply.

I have currently three varieties that I air layered last weekend for possible relocation to gainesville kids residence this summer. I have grown figs in pots and ground and there is no comparison, if you have a good spot, the ground option is much better. Its a lot of work just to eat some fresh figs. BTW I already ate my first 'black mission' 2 days ago and it was delicious. In my case, my trees get whatever leftover orchid fertilizer I have on a weekly basis and I apply a granular palm special fertilizer when I fee my other trees and palms.

• yellen
    15 years ago

Hi, newbie to site
    Will container grown figs NOT produce quality edible fruit?

• stuartdave
    15 years ago

Lisa,Have lived in Stuart for the last 11 years and have not had a freeze. Coldest at my house has been 32 degrees. Now back in the 80's and 70's there were a number of hard freezes. Plants that have not suffered any damage since I began living here are barbados cherry, mangoes,papaya,macadamia,carambola,grumichama,key lime all fairly cold intolerant.

• citymousefl
    15 years ago

I bought a Brown Turkey fig a few weeks ago and it looks to be doing fine with plenty of new growth, but the constant rain has been a problem for the leaves(rust) but the figs themselves are growing fine, and numerous.

I keep mine in a container becuase I read that figs are related to the Ficus which is notorious for having very invasive, water-loving roots.

-Eric

• john2002
    15 years ago

Would like to try container fig(s) in zone 9. Can anyone spare a cutting?

• peggyandlou
    14 years ago

I love my fig tree - - - it was here 10 years ago when I bought the property, and after a lot of manure and mulch it has become four healthy trees with a lot of fruit. Unfortunately I'm feeding all the birds in the neighborhood. I have tried a net and it was not effective. Any suggestions?
    I live in Ormond Beach, whatever zone that is.

• wannabfiglady
    13 years ago

I am not a 'grower' or green thumb; however would love to have fruit 'someday' on my only Brown Turkey fig bush. Some years it looks great but no fruit (like now) and other years it's hanging on a thread of life and will have 4 or 5 cherished little guys. I know I've got a ways to go in education... how do you tell if it has nematode damage? It has been planted in the ground for appx 7 years. Don't know if the soil is acidic or not..? Excuse my ignorance. Hoping to change it.

• Shala O'Neil
    4 years ago

Which Fig tree dies better in Santa Monica, CA, in SoCal which is zone 10b & 11 ?

• sonni1
    4 years ago

My experience:(northern Palm Beach County, about 10 miles inland)

purchased a Brown Turkey, Black Mission and an LSU Purple about 4or 5 years ago. planted in very large containers. The Black Mission was the first to go (I took it out as it did not grow well and this last week chopped up the Brown Turkey which never produced an edible fig. The LSU Purple however - that's been some tree! Produces figs nearly all year - we're all getting a bit tired of eating figs. Some say that fig doesn't taste good, and others say it needs a couple of years to produce a tasty fig. They taste quite good to me. I get rust and pretty much ignore it. Some leaves will brown up and fall off, I'll clean it up a bit every once in a while. It's in the vegetable garden, so I water it regularly in the fall, winter and spring and fertilze it every couple of months. Haven't had much problem with birds but do experience some loss to those little flies.