Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny bugs on my pepper plants

Posted by dcastillo94 st pete (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 22:17

Can anyone tell me what these little guys are... both the white ones and the little black beetle looking things?

Found them on my bell pepper plants and have sense removed the parts with the highest concentration of the critters...

thanx
Danny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny bugs on my pepper plants

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 8:20

Hi Danny

I am not an expert in bugs, but they look like some sort of aphid. Whatever they are they are not helping the pepper plant, wash them off with a hose and if they are in full sun, give them some shade. Summer is very stressful for the pepper plants.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: aphid

o

thanx for the reply..

some one else told me I should buy some lady bugs and let them go at night...
Said they love to eat the Aphids...

Are lady bugs in any way harmful to the plants?
thanx
Danny

o

Def. aphids - & the white things appear to be their empty husks, meaning something is already feeding on them - I think I spy a lacewing larvae.

If you leave it alone & refrain from spraying anything, the problem may go away on its own....

HTH

o

Could the white bugs be mealybugs?

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 17:54

I don't want to venture a guess as to what those buggies are, but just want to advise a good first-tier bug spray that is cheap and non-toxic... fill a squirt bottle w/rubbing alcohol and squirt in a bit of dish soap, Dawn is good- give it a shake and then spray awaay..... it kills most bugs and you can then wash it off and eat whatever....I keep several bottles out around the garden...I just use bottles that Clorox Clean-up or Lysol w/bleach, etc. came in, after they are empty...sally

o

Not mealybugs - those look like wads of sticky white fluff. You can use GoogleImage to check these things.

Mealybug infestation:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here