Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petting Zoo manure for new Nursery.

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 22:49

Hey Everybody
There is a video on YouTube called how to compost manure in thirty days. It basically shows you how to speed up the composition of fresh manure using only water and black plastic. I would like to know if this could actually work. The reason is because Urban Paradise is starting a nursery at Amelia Earhart Park and because there is a petting zoo at the park I suggested using the cow, goat, pig, chicken and horse manure as a source of fertilizer for our plants. It would be great if this could be ready for our garden in only thirty days but I could really use someone who has more experience in this area.
P.S. When they deliver the manure to us its mixed with bedding and all the different animal manures mixed together. Is that a problem? Also is pig manure O.K.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petting Zoo manure for new Nursery.

I'm not exactly an expert here, but how fast things compost tends to vary quite a bit, at least for me. It is still worth a try and even if it does take longer you still have it to use for future plantings.
I would hesitate to use pig manure from a commercial meat producing establishment, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it from a petting zoo or small hobby farm. The bedding is beneficial too so long as it is stuff like straw and sawdust.
I'm sure the video you saw either recommends turning it a lot or sticking in vent pipes, those things help speed it up. You can get what's called a compost thermometer if you plan to do this regularly, when the center of the pile is pretty much air temperature than it's done. It's hot when it's not done, even around 140-150 degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here