Anyone know what tree this is??

jane__ny
10 years ago

Jane

Comments (11)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    My guess would be Cattley guava since it appears to have red fruit the strawberry type . The yellow is usually called lemon guava. Psium cattleianum . The common guava usually has green fruit but many hybrids
    gary

• kayjones
    10 years ago

It is a Camellia. Mine is doing the same thing. When the fruit opens and the seeds drop, it leaves a beautiful star-shaped husk.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hummm. Well all I know is the squirrels love running off with the fruit. I was afraid to taste it. The bark of the tree is pretty. It peels in long sheets.

Is the fruit edible?

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Seeing the bark reinforces some type of guava??. You could google guava for an ID. The fruit is edible but small and full of seeds careful of bugs though lol. Limbs are rather attractive .. , tree stays small and easy to control but does seed but not too bad i use mine to grow orchids but the peeling rather limits that ,lol Is there anything squirrels don't like?? gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

Psidium cattleyanum, Cattley or Strawberry Guava

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all! Yes, I think it is Guava. I cut one of the mushy fruits and there were worms, yuck!

Funny, Gary. I was eye-balling these trees as possible orchid candidates. They give nice shade to a very sunny spot. They were growing like bushes and I chopped the heck out of them, opening them up and getting more air and light to them.

The bark is really peeling but otherwise they seem healthy.

{{gwi:934602}}

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    bad choice for epiphytes due to the peeling bark. I'm guessing that the purpose of the peeling is to shed epis??
    Works fair for Vandas due to upright growth BUT require
    constant readjustment . same is true for palms unless mature. Worst are deciduous b ut could use ones that like
    high light unless summer deciduous lol
    Best all around was citrus
    All the trees I have now were chosen for epiphytes but obviously takes years to get them ready
    i'm using a plumeria for an epicatt BUT it is being dwarfed and under the larger cassia of course if frost it will completely defoliate . It ain't easy being "natural " lol
    With your experience with orchids you should have a good chance of selecting the right place the first time lol Good luck gary

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

jane
    there is an article on "tree growing " in the AOS jounal for both Florida and California You can access most of the details on the site gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

AOS = American Orchid Society

First article linked below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids on a Tree

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Second article linked below.

Good information regarding orchid tree-growing in both articles. Thanks for the heads-up, Gary!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids Outdoors in Southern California

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gary. I wasn't looking to attach any orchids. My property is very sunny with little shade. I am always on the search for tree limbs to hang my baskets from.

I don't like attaching orchids because the winters are tricky. I like to bring plants in if the weather turns cold or frost is possible.

I have a large oak which would serve the purpose except I had it pruned last year and the lowest limb is about 20ft high.

All my orchids are hanging under the one tree which provides shade, a loquat tree. That tree shades too much. I'm constantly moving the plants around to catch more sun.

I'm thinking these Guava trees might fit the bill once they fill out a bit. They were overgrown with vines and bushes (as a matter of fact, I didn't even know 3 of them were there), we spent 2 weekends chopping all the vines and bushes away and, low and behold, there were the trees.

So, I'm thinking my higher light orchids may have found a new spot to hang out.

Jane