Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 23:29

photo null_zps2e022e29.jpg

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know what tree this is??

Hi
My guess would be Cattley guava since it appears to have red fruit the strawberry type . The yellow is usually called lemon guava. Psium cattleianum . The common guava usually has green fruit but many hybrids
gary

o

It is a Camellia. Mine is doing the same thing. When the fruit opens and the seeds drop, it leaves a beautiful star-shaped husk.

o

Hummm. Well all I know is the squirrels love running off with the fruit. I was afraid to taste it. The bark of the tree is pretty. It peels in long sheets.

photo null_zpsc645d1cc.jpg

Is the fruit edible?

Jane

o

Hi
Seeing the bark reinforces some type of guava??. You could google guava for an ID. The fruit is edible but small and full of seeds careful of bugs though lol. Limbs are rather attractive .. , tree stays small and easy to control but does seed but not too bad i use mine to grow orchids but the peeling rather limits that ,lol Is there anything squirrels don't like?? gary

o

Psidium cattleyanum, Cattley or Strawberry Guava

o

Thanks, all! Yes, I think it is Guava. I cut one of the mushy fruits and there were worms, yuck!

Funny, Gary. I was eye-balling these trees as possible orchid candidates. They give nice shade to a very sunny spot. They were growing like bushes and I chopped the heck out of them, opening them up and getting more air and light to them.

The bark is really peeling but otherwise they seem healthy.

photo null_zpse9ab9799.jpg

photo null_zpsf92028a3.jpg

Jane

o

hi
bad choice for epiphytes due to the peeling bark. I'm guessing that the purpose of the peeling is to shed epis??
Works fair for Vandas due to upright growth BUT require
constant readjustment . same is true for palms unless mature. Worst are deciduous b ut could use ones that like
high light unless summer deciduous lol
Best all around was citrus
All the trees I have now were chosen for epiphytes but obviously takes years to get them ready
i'm using a plumeria for an epicatt BUT it is being dwarfed and under the larger cassia of course if frost it will completely defoliate . It ain't easy being "natural " lol
With your experience with orchids you should have a good chance of selecting the right place the first time lol Good luck gary

o

jane
there is an article on "tree growing " in the AOS jounal for both Florida and California You can access most of the details on the site gary

o

AOS = American Orchid Society

First article linked below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids on a Tree

o

Second article linked below.

Good information regarding orchid tree-growing in both articles. Thanks for the heads-up, Gary!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids Outdoors in Southern California

o

Thanks Gary. I wasn't looking to attach any orchids. My property is very sunny with little shade. I am always on the search for tree limbs to hang my baskets from.

I don't like attaching orchids because the winters are tricky. I like to bring plants in if the weather turns cold or frost is possible.

I have a large oak which would serve the purpose except I had it pruned last year and the lowest limb is about 20ft high.

All my orchids are hanging under the one tree which provides shade, a loquat tree. That tree shades too much. I'm constantly moving the plants around to catch more sun.

I'm thinking these Guava trees might fit the bill once they fill out a bit. They were overgrown with vines and bushes (as a matter of fact, I didn't even know 3 of them were there), we spent 2 weekends chopping all the vines and bushes away and, low and behold, there were the trees.

So, I'm thinking my higher light orchids may have found a new spot to hang out.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here