Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanda

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 3:31

hi
Can anyone tell me how to prune this Vanda orchid??. From the top of the flowers to the hanging roots is over 8 feet It recently lost the lower foliage so even uglier lol
Was hoping it would branch but just keeps getting taller and roots longer . Any suggestions?? thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanda

I have no idea but one thing for sure, don't do anything till it quits blooming.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 15:26

That thing is gorgeous and I am green with envy! LOL, sally

o

Gary - the basic rule of thumb for Vandas is cut from the bottom up until you see live stem. You can trim old roots if they get in the way. Do not cut leaves! If you can pull them off - down and close to the stem - they are dead. If you do half-pull off a leaf, cut the rest off close to the stem with a sharp knife.

o

hi
guess i don't understand . There are no roots on the stem all are concentrated at the bottom 3 inches and grow outside the basket. have tried snipping the growing tip as well as rooting hormone on the stem as you can see it didn't work need a method to get it to branch or offset ??
thought of cutting it directly below the leaves resulting in two pieces but there would be no roots on the upper section.
feel certain the lower section would regrow but no roots on the upper?? must do something soon as 10 feet is the limit to the shadehouse and the basket is rotting away
had a similar problem with terete terete /strap hybrids
but snipping the growing tip worked on them but they offset much easier than straps. as well as rooting on the entire stem rather than just the bottom
Stuartwanda/sally this particular one is almost always in flower . Creates another problem as the flowers are so large that when it rains the whole basket tips over lol
flowers at least 8 months of the year with usual flowers over 6 inches accross Have had this over 20 years
wiould highly recommend this hybrid!!! gary

o

Gary, do you do Facebook? There is a group on there that has vendors and a lot of people who knows their orchids.
There is also a Orchid Society in Jupiter.

o

The roots can be pruned. The plant won't like it but sometimes it is necessary. First get Maxi-crop. An organic root stimulater. After you prune the roots back spray them with maxi-crop. The green barn in Delray has maxi-crop. Now is the time to cut the roots. You need the warm weather.

An alternative to cutting the roots is to get them very wet. Saturated! Then, without breaking the roots, wind them into the basket. But because your basket is rotten, I would trim the roots and repot.

Good luck

o

Hi
use to belong to a couple of societies but was not interested in shows and have been developing an interest in epiphytes that are not orchids or Broms lol Too many plants too little time?? lol
Not too concerned about the roots The stem is a bit over 4 feet way to big for a basket . was needing a way to divide the stem or cause it to offset?? have tried rooting hormone as well as nipping the lead growth All it did was start new growth at the tip.lol Would like at least one root on both parts lol Worked on teretes but they always procduce roots the entire length of the stem
I think I might move it out to my Vanda "bed that I started 3 years ago But have 4 approaching 9 feet there lol
Not sure there's room for another monster lol getting it out of the rotting basket will be a good trick also lol Thanks for the suggestions gary

o

Gary are you worried about losing it? Otherwise, experiment. I would cut the top, put some rooting hormone on the cut and stick it in sphag.

The base, I'd trim the roots short and stick the mess in a pot (after putting some hormone) and stick them in a tray with some loose sphag and keep damp.

Whats the worse that will happen? The roots will probably send up an off shoot. If you are the luckiest person alive, the top will send out roots or a basal keiki.

Unless you are sentimental, I'd go for it!

Jane

o

I would repot it into a bigger crib and not disturb any of the current crib to do it.

o

I have heard that if the plant is turned upside down and left there it will initiate more roots....

o

I would try and contact the Orchid Society. They would know what to do.

o

The global authority on vanda's is R.F.Orchids in Homestead. They are generous with information. Call them.

o

jane
Sounds like a plan !!l over the years the only vandas I've lost were those with media in the basket lol They rot have always grown them in empty slat baskets .Seem even more sensitive than the average orchid to drainage They do best during summer with the heat and humidity and daily rains May try your subggestion as I obviously need to do something drastic lol
Shaved Have acccidently tried that what it did was make a U turn both flower and stem. Another interesting aspect was when the roots reached the pond . Figured they would reverse nope they happily grew along the water surface even algae didn't stop them lol
Another thing I've learned about them is they actually do climb trees . Two on my vanda bed have actually moved themselves six inches higher into the trunk!! The roots reach up attach and the shorten pulling the entire plant up!!
Would love to see these growing wild??
since drastic action is called for think I'll wait until spring for ideal conditions It is initiating another spike so will be in flower until after New year anyway. Thanks very much for the suggestions !!! gary

o

You want at least 3 good roots on the stem before you cut for the best results. Growers on the Florida Orchid Growers or FOG page on Facebook can help with advice. They have been spraying with Maxicrop this year for root growth. Some also swear by an occasional dose of Mega thrive or Superthrive.
I think you are right about waiting until spring when roots are in grow mode.
You can trim the roots hanging from the basket but... I would suggest winding the roots in a circle(like a hose) and fasten with garden velcro tape. I do this and it makes my DH happier when he has to mow and not get hit with roots.

This post was edited by coffeemom on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 9:27

o

Hi
Here is a pic of vandas growing on two conjoined palms. there are 4 different kinds in this group, The terete/terete straps love it may put this strap into this group. The advantage is that they can get as tall and as rooty as they like lol gary

o

Gary, I only mentioned putting the pieces in pots to keep an eye on them until 'something' happens, dead or alive. If the roots send up something green, you could tie it to a tree or basket. I bet the green top would make roots. Could be wrong, had it happen with Phals which lost roots.

I cut a long neck Phal off the roots. I did have a couple of roots beginning from under the crown so I knew I had a good shot. It did grow and is fine.

I didn't get anything from the roots although they were very healthy. I thought the cut crown (leafless) might initiate a keki but it didn't.

Your situation is different as there are no roots near the crown. I've had luck using KLN rooting hormone. Managed to root plants I held little hope. Spring would be the best shot. Great plant, I don't blame you for trying to be careful. Sounds like a terrific bloomer.

Jane

o

Jane
In the above pic the two larger are Terete/ strap hybids
To the right and left are teretes note how differently they root? There is a strap to the left out of the pic and like the one in the SH only produces roots at the bottom. and they grow at about a third the rate . These were pieces destroyed by Jeanne so i just grouped them altogether.
I never hesitate with surgery on these because they always root the entire length of the stem also if you cut the growing tip they will branch. The straps don't lol
Have tried rooting hormone in the past along with snipping the growing tip if you look at the first pic you can see where the leaves changed direction but not habit lol Going to try again this winter with hormone along with a slice from the stem. very reluctant to put it into the group as it get damaged by wind and rain due to the size of the flowers
A neighbor gave me a terrificly overgrown muti growth Catt that was planted in a treefern filled with sphag. impossible to remove without damage and it's holding WAY too much water Got 3 that went into baskets but the fourth went into a crotch of the cassia tree. it aborted two new growths but has started two new growths in the opposite direction This is my first attempt with the fancy catts Time will tell i guess thanks for the help!! gary

o

Gary... which root hormone are you using and do you notice a response from your orchids.

o

Hi
A brand called "Take root" The strap is the only orchid I've used it on. No response but this time going to a take a thin slice from the stem, prune the roots . Difficult to apply to just the stem . feel that it was washed off in the past . gary

o

When I use Maxi-crop, in a few days you can see a positive response from all orchids. Orchid roots should have a translucent tip. Sometimes green or red. Sometimes they are reluctant to show the tips but maxi-crop brings them out. Also you can see along the root new roots will branch out. Also the root are plumper.

All plants like it. The orchids with exposed roots give immediate feedback. But it works on all plants.

It is made from Norwegian seaweed. The stocks replenish so there is no depletion. And it works. So Gary get some it sounds like it might make a difference.

o

Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 17:51

Awhile back I put a bit of Milorganite in some of the orchid pots, and can see the difference... would Fish Emulsion be the same as that Maxi-crop? thanx, sally

o

The active ingredient is humic acid in maxi-crop. I think different than fish emulsion...

o

Maxi crop is from seaweed

o

Yes Maxi crop is made from Norwegian seaweed. The naturally occurring chemical is humic acid. A root stimulator. I use it a lot.

o

Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 15:17

Thanx, sure sounds 'stinky' and 'stinky' is good! the worse it smells the better it is.... I'm going to google and see where I can get me some of that stuff... I tried some fish-meal years ago, put it under some roses I planted, the next morning I went out to the garden and the roses had been dug-up by some critter, they had tried to eat that fish-meal! The feed-store I got it from never carried it again, he said it was too smelly and customers complained! LOL, sally

o

It smells like the ocean. Not strong or smelly. It will stain your clothes. Maxicrop Soluble Powder is what I get. Cost less to ship dry and mix with water at home. It goes a long way. teaspoon to the gallon. http://maxicrop.com/pages/product_4.html is the website. The other vendors buy from this website.

This is a game changer for orchids and all plants like it.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 7:09

That's a beauty, Gary. Thought I'd stop in and say hi to you! Ana

o

hello Ana
Where have you beeen?? Your advice has been missed !! Here is a pic of my new incarnation of my very old garden. Arriving at that "jungle clearing" look but MUCH more to do . Note the EE at the right That's a piece of the one you gave me many years ago . gary

o

Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:22

What is the name of that huge leaf on the right? LOVE that jungle-look, my son loves big-leaf plants...thanx, sally

o

I have the same problem with a vanda. It has gotten extremely tall with several "branches". The branches have roots so I know I can cut that and pot the cutting. My question is what to do with the bottom part that is completely bald. There is at least a foot and a half that has no roots and no leaves. Do you guys think that that half will leaf in the future?

o

Gary, I love your garden. Wow, what a lot of work! Please post more pictures.

I also want to say hi to Ana, I also miss your advice and your beautiful garden. I'll never forget that day you showed me your beautiful beds and plants and all those blooming orchids in the back hidden from view. I loved that greenhouse!

Gary, I see the difference with the type of roots. I have only one Vanda which is a strap type and too small to worry about at this point.

Considering your experience with orchids, I'm hoping you will be the person to experiment and cut that Vanda (next spring) and see what happens. We'll all wait to see your results before taking the knife!

Jane

o

Sally
That is one of a huge group of plants called aroids or Elephant ears . There are a gazillion kinds to choose from .
Some develop leaves in excess of 8 /10 feet Some of the members of the family are Alocasia /colocasia /caladium /calla many colors forms and growth habits . Some evergreen some winter dormant.
you could build an entire garden around this family lol
TXgrace What i am going to do is cut a small slice from the rootless area cover with rooting hormone along with pruning the major group of roots . have tried this in the past and it did not work but I think the rain washed the hormone off. so will do it during winter dry season.. Hopefully it will develop roots and I can divide the plant up lol
jane
It is developing another spike so will be in flower until next year . Runaway my most floriferous orchid so very reluctant to stress lol But MUST do something lol thanks gary

o

Bought this beauty today. Now I need some advice on how to rebasket her. I believe that she has 2 (not babies anymore) keikis. Should I cut her?

o

Bought this beauty today. Now I need some advice on how to rebasket her. I believe that she has 2 (not babies anymore) keikis. Should I cut her?

o

Hi
That looks like a terete vanda probably with some mokara
relatives ?? Are you keeping it in a protected area?? I'd wait until spring to do anything particularly since it's in bloom. Usually you can cut anywhere that results in each section having at least one root.
How tall is it?? What is it in now ,slat basket?? I have some growing on trees well over 15 feet Can't really make out the detail from your pic.
As to a follow up on the oruiginal post I used the procedure I outlined produced 3 new sets of leaves at the top many new roots at the bottom but not a one in the middle lol
I whacked a couple of teretes without benefit of roots and they responded by offsetting one in four locations!!! Hooray. IME teretes are MUCh more vigorous than straps but come spring i'm going to do the surgery no matter what the results lol It is even MORE lopsided than when I first posted lol
gary

o

Garyfla
I believe it's about 6ft. No basket. Just hooked on a hanger. The flowers are about done.since there's no sentimental value for me, I'd really like to cut it up, prune the roots, re basket it, therefore it's easier to handle, water,care for it. I don't know how old it is. But I would like to be able to make one decent plant out of it.any advice on pruning the roots?

o

Hi
You ought to be able to divide it into several . Try to cut so that each section has as many roots as possible .
Slat baskets with no media is a good choice.
The teretes that I did the surgery on have responed well but still don't have the courage to do the strap in the pic lol.
Good luck and would love to hear the results ?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here