Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brute_gw

What Is The Latest-Blooming Mango?

brute
11 years ago

My mango flowers in January, and the fruit is ready in June. I'm thinking of planting a second tree, but this time I'd like one that blooms and fruits later in the year.

Can anyone tell me which variety that would be?

Comments (14)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I think most mango trees bloom around Dec/Jan in FL due to the cooler temps and lack of rainfall? Though I've heard of a couple that might bloom 2x a year. I have a small Keitt tree that still has fruits on it that aren't ripe yet. I think what makes this one a late season variety is not that it blooms later but more because the fruits aren't ripe until closer to September. Most mango varieties in FL ripens between June and July and a few in August.

According to Pine Island Nursery Keitt ripens between August and Oct. but I think more realistically...at least for me its September.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keitt Mango...

• saldut
    11 years ago

What do they taste like? are they sweet, and do they have strings that catch in your teeth? I have 3 Haden and am swamped w/fruit all at once, so have been thinking of getting a later one also....thanks, sally

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

I really like Keitts. The ones I got in the store this year were no good, but the ones my ex brother in law gave me last year were pretty dang good. I wouldn't say they are as good as a Kent or Edward, but they're much better than Haden in my opinion.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I LOVE my Keitts...they are sweet when you let them ripen. Keitt can also be eaten semi mature kind of taste like a green crunchy apple. The outside doesn't turn yellow or red like Haden or other mangoes so its a little hard to tell by the outside when they're ready to eat. The skin can be green on the outside but yellow on the inside. They definitely do NOT have any fiber, so no strings getting caught in your teeth.

I agree with slopfrog, I prefer Kents a little more but Keitts are pretty darn good as well especially when most of the others are a distant memory its nice to have a late variety to look forward to.

I put a link below about Keitt mango...

I just opened this one up today...it was really delicious!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Keitt Mango...

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

That looks awesome puglvr! Didn't know they ripened so late. How vigorous is the tree? How small do you think it can be managed? I always through that Keitt wanted to be a big tree.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Sun!! Its my very first crop even though the tree is 5 years old. The freeze had damaged this tree severely for the last 4 winters :o(...the tree has typically a very lanky open type of growth but can be managed by pruning vigorously once a year. Unfortunately for me the annual freeze has been doing it for me (without my permission) lol

I plan on keeping this one at around 8-10 ft. if possible.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Congrats on your first crop! I look forward to seeing how this tree matures - if you really can keep it in the 8-10' range, via intentional pruning;)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Sun! I'm enjoying these last fruits of the season :o)
    The tree can definitely get large so its very important to prune them once a year to keep them in check.

I found this Video on Youtube.com about the Keitt mango for those that want to know a little more about this variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keitt Mango Video

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks for the video - very informative. Too big for my yard - but looks delicious!

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

When do you pick your last Keitt, and when do you puck your last Kent? Will Keitts last till October on the tree?

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

I have a fairly small Keitt tree that has about 8 more mangoes left...I picked one 2 weeks ago and it ripened on the counter about a week later...I just picked one yesterday and that should be ripe in about a week...I'm guess these should last me till end of Sept through the first week of Oct. by the looks of the fruits...still very green and rock hard. One of them is at least 3 pounds!! These are the largest fruits I've ever had on this tree :o)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    7 years ago

Consider a Carrie ! You'll thank me ! ( smile )

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

@Jofus - Carrie is great I have one, but it's a mid season - not late.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH