Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Dwarfers Bonsai people??

garyfla_gw
11 years ago

Hi

Hopefully there are some other followers of this aspect of gardening and can give me some advice.??

Have a Powder puff tree that I have maintained under two feet since the early eighties using compacted long fibered sphagnum in a 14 inch drip pan. Recently went into a serious decline so I repotted using the same formula

Has responded by regrowing from the roots only all old growth appears to be dead . any suggestions on what to do now ?? have had this SOOOO long hate to lose it!!! Thanks gary

Comments (10)

• theoj
    11 years ago

Have you asked those on Garden Web's Bonsai Forum. They're experts.
    theo

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Don't know if it is in the same family as Mimosa, but I know that can get hit with a wilt which kills off the tree. It happens quickly and suddenly.

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    Too many issues with the "Bonsai" forum "Experts "have never even heard of this method lol
    Jane ,it hasn't killed the tree just the old growth which is the whole purpose of "dwarfing" lol
    Think I'll remove the dead and reduce the pot size ,of course this will mean it's no longer a dwarf just a small plant. Would like to know the cause had a similar problem about 10 years ago but a swarm of carpenter ants had made a home in the pot merely repotted and it completely recovered not working this time .. Thanks everybody!!! gary

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

gary, I just stumbled on this and I can't find any info on your method of dwarfing in sphagnum. where did you learn about it ? how is it done?
    I am quite interested in the subject.

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

First of all, I'm not sure sphagnum is the best potting media as it doesn't drain well. Bonsai usually uses a sharp draining medium to allow for maximum health for the long term. It could just be that the lack of drainage finally caught up with you, to be honest. Do a search for Al's container soils, I use his gritty mix formula and its fantastic. I use elements of bonsai on all my plants to maintain them at a smaller size.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    I learned the method from a very old PBS Bonsai show which i can't remember the name from 1981 lol
    The method uses standard "bonsai " practice (root pruning trimming wiring .be sure every trace of soil is removed . You can use standard Bonsai pots or as i did drip trays put holes if the later. Get some good quality long fibered sphagnum submerse in water until completely soaked . lightly squeeze some out enough to cover the bottom and compress as hard as possible . I'll use ficus as an example . create a cone of sphag and compress until it makes a nice structure for the roots . about an inch or two above the rim . Add layers of sphag and compress as hard as possible . The goal is to leave no air pockets When you think it can't possibly hold more add more lol very important step!! over time the roots will fill the sphag creating a solid mass at that point you may discard the pot/tray though i like to keep them for underplanting of the main subject and or add tiny epiphytes depending on the look desired. Pick the entire plant up and examine the roots and condition of the sphag if bad merely tease it out and add new. usually lasts around 3 years depending on the quality of the sphag.DON'T skimp on the quality
    like Bonsai it works best on woody plants though it does work on many other types including cycads/palms with much more difficulty.
    Botaniphile
    This powder puff has been growing in this method for just over 33 years It has completely returned though all the original wood is gone . Have pruned to disguise this and has returned to flowering in waves as usual and also producing seeds. This is the second time this has happened though in the first the new old growth returned
    while this time it came from the roots
    i highly recommend this media for dwarfing particularly if grown outside if for no other reason than you can not over nor underwater At one time had over 25 types using this method but now down to the powderpuff and two Ficus.
    i find the usual methods too time consuming and ineffective in the florida weather. Granted it is NOT true Bonsai but it's sure dwarfing lol Thanks gary

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

thanks, gary.
    I've had many orchids packed with LFS like you described. and no matter how carefully I watered (with sprayer, minute amounts to barely moist) - all roots invariably declined within 6mo.
    I assume you mean live lfs - like new Zealand, fuzzy and light colored, that's the only one I've seen used with orchids. I know, it's not really live, but is sold as such and contains spores. found a pic to be sure. is that the one?
    I root 4' long (10" in pot) wooded old ficus lyrata cuttings in it - it works like magic, grows roots all along the 10" underground stem. then I pop the whole thing into a potting mix. my 2 ficuses growing like that for 5 years are fenomenal. I was wondering if it has smth to do with sphagnum. it's time to dwarf them, one is pushing at the ceiling ;) - time to notch/branch/cut/root.
    when tightly packed, sphagnum will hold enormous amts of water. and when dry - it won't take any water at all. do you soak then?
    I take it yours are outside? I suppose in fl humidity it won't ever go dry? how do you water winter vs summer?
    of course ficus roots are not as tender as orchids and super vigorous and can just live in water - mine are on water wicks and develop tap water roots.

This post was edited by petrushka on Thu, May 23, 13 at 10:40

• theoj
    10 years ago

The previously mentioned PBS of bonsai growing in spragnam was made by a man to the best of my memory, was named Brian Batchelder. I am not certain of this name or spelling. I heard later than he died caused by inhalation of the spragnam medium he was using.
    theo

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

thanks for the name, it's correct.
    I immediately found this article describing his method.
    www.inlandbonsai.com/articles/moss/moss.pdf
    yes, he submerges the pot in water and then drains.
    alas, I won't be able to do it with large pots. but i'll experiment with water-wicks.