Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muscledbear

Fuchsia in Florida

muscledbear
11 years ago

Hi:

Are there any varieties of fuchsia which grow well here all year in Florida. I was thinking perhaps Fuchsia magellanica. Anyone have luck with any of the showier hybrids?

I have been surprised at the things I thought would do well through the summer that have not, so very cautious on these guys.

While I am happier than a clam to live in a 10a zone, I am already missing the plants i can't grow (lilacs, snowdrops, daffodils, Masdavallia.. ) Can a gardener EVER not want to grow things that he shouldn't?

Some of these I can work around, like the spring bulbs. But at this point, I do not want to set up a chilled summer home for plants that hate hot temps. Maybe down the road and probably would be for the Pleurothallid orchids.

Are these plants that i need to put in my "do not buy" list down here?

Bill

Comments (13)

• amberroses
    11 years ago

I don't know much about fushia. I do have a fushsia from Lowes in a medium size pot growing in mostly shade. It blooms and does pretty well. It's pink. It is possible to grow them here.

Lilacs, snowdrops, daffodils I haven't tried. I've never heard of anyone growing them successfully in Florida. I'll experiment with things like that if I find them on a clearance rack very cheap. I wouldn't waste very much money on something that likely will not grow.

• muscledbear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I didn't want to waste the money and the plant if fuchsias were not successful here or if they required a lot of work to keep them around.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    You can treat them as annuals . Can often get them in the box stores for under 3 bucks and during the winter will put on a great show . Heat is by far more of a limiting factor in 10 than cold.lol I like to plan a winter garden to take advantage of the cold fronts . gary

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I grow the big showy ones as annuals. Can't seem to get them through July and August.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I've been looking for some Fuschia...does anyone know what time of the year I can purchase these at the Big Box stores?

I went to Lowe's today and they had none...anyone know where I can find some locally?

Thanks so much...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

The Ace Hardwares in Jacksonville have a few (like only one or two) very straggly, ratty-looking ones in the shade house areas. The fresh ones will come in later in the fall.

Carol

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I've seen them at Ace hardware in about February or March. They don't like the heat. I used to sell them like hot cakes in PA. I miss them and lilacs and forsythia and all of the bulbs.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks!! Guess I'll have to wait a little longer till the weather cools off...unfortunately my small town Ace doesn't carry any live plants :o(

Someone was nice enough to provide this link on another post of "heat tolerant" fuchsias. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a couple that are listed on there.

I want to try a couple growing outside for about 8 months a year and bring it indoors for the summer months and see if they survive? I guess they thrive best in temps between 50 to 80 degrees...

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat tolerant Fuchsia varieties

10 years ago

Pug, that's too bad about the Aces because here in Jax, they have the harder-to-find plants. They always have stuff I can't find anywhere else, especially the two Hagan Ace Hardwares.

You might have some success with the heat-tolerant plants with your plan. Sometimes it is not only the heat but also the humidity that the plant can not take. (Imagine that!) So an air-conditioned house might be the right answer for June - September. Please let us know how it goes.

Carol

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I know...its a shame that our Ace doesn't carry plants. I lived in Bradenton for 12 years and our Ace had some unusual plants that you normally can't find elsewhere...I miss it a lot!

Thanks, If I ever find any I will let you know "if" my plan works out :o)

Nancy

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Please post on this thread when someone starts finding Fuchsia for sale in Florida...

Thanks!!

10 years ago

Will do, Pug!

Carol

10 years ago

Pug, I saw fuchsias for the first time this year in Lowes and thought of you! They are here! All of the spring plants arrived this week in the big box stores in Jacksonville. Since you are farther south, I would guess you have them down there, too. I hope you can find some this year.

Carol

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH