Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

New, but odd, arguement...

...in the case of 'The Ball Moss is killing my tree!' debate.

Recently, while watching one of Sue Scott's Back Ten Feet videos, someone, an arborist I think, commented that while Spanish Moss does not actively kill a tree, he believed Ball Moss could. His reasoning was that, unlike Spanish Moss, Ball Moss sets roots into the bark of a tree and, with these roots, ends up leeching and depriving the tree of water. This seems like a good argument in theory, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Not that I often go around inspecting Ball Moss, but the times I have observed it, whether on a tree or a downed limb, the roots don't seem to go much deeper than maybe a millimeter or two. Add to this the common knowledge that all kids are taught in school, 'Trees take in water mostly through their roots and sometimes through their leaves' and I just don't see how Ball Moss could kill a tree, or even a limb. If anything, I would think that the Ball Moss would be a benefit as it would help in preventing the limb from staying wet and rotting.

Anyways, since I had heard this opinion and I know that this is one of those often argued topics here, I thought I would bring it up. What do ya'll think? Could Ball Moss really steal that much moisture from a tree? Are there any arborists/horticulturalists that have extra information on whether a tree does or does not take moisture in from its bark? This seems to go against every thing I learned in school about how trees work, but then... we were also taught that Pluto was our 9th planet...

Comments (9)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

IMO, an argument is not the same as proof. Is there any study proving this man's assertions to be factual?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is kind of my point. Nothing I have ever heard substantiates his claim. But I also admit that aside from what I learned in ecology, biology and other science classes some 20+ years ago, I haven't done much research on trees. So just because I haven't heard of trees absorbing moisture through their bark, doesn't mean it's not possible.

• coffeemom
    10 years ago

I tie all sorts of bromeliads to my oak trees and don't worry about roots stealing water from it. Same thing, right?

• afishlady
    10 years ago

You got me curious. A quick perusal of Texas A&M's Forest Service site and of course Wikipedia got me this information. Apparently ball moss is an epiphyte which means it gets its nutrients from the air, not a host plant. Also, its "roots" are actually pseudoroots. They just use them to attach to the bark. They prefer low light areas. Limbs in low light areas tend to not do as well but the ball moss does. So, the limbs die due to lack of light but the ball moss was just there for the environment, not the tree's nutrients. Sometimes it gets blamed anyway.

About trees taking in nutrients, yes of course roots are absolutely essential to water and nutrient absorption. However, the water is carried upward through the tree's version of veins(xylem). The sugars made by photosynthesis are carried down more veins if you will (phloem). Those two are concentrated in layers under the bark. That's why "girdling" a tree can prove fatal to it.

So no, the ball moss doesn't kill the tree. No, bark is not a water or nutrient- absorbing part of the tree; but it shields the vital parts that transport them.

• flatwoods_farm
    10 years ago

Ball moss grows on phone wires. No water there. Think about it.

• mistiaggie
    10 years ago

If that was the case then all what about all of the orchids that grow on trees. Epiphytes, not parasites.

Now that I'm back in Texas there's some hate towards ball moss which I find ridiculous.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Misti !!!

It's good to see you back, even if you still live in Texas.

You're always welcome to jump in with us here in Florida.

You've been missed and I hope you & Chris are doing really well.

Susie

• Kasima
    10 years ago

I always heard the insects and fungus growing inside the ball moss that killed the trees. Plus, if the roots are on the inside of the bark, why does liquid copper make them loose hold and fall off?

• mistiaggie
    10 years ago

Hi Susie!

The Texas forum is soooo slow! Plus, I miss all of my tropicals. ;)

I was just looking at the Brazilian red cloak topic---we got one yesterday. Now to see if it will handle the cold come January.

I think there's a lot of mythology around ball moss that continues to be propagated by gardeners and tree trimming companies. It is unfortunate.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?