Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

To all my garden party friends

whgille
10 years ago

It is almost the time for our fall garden party, I am sorry to say that we won't be hosting this time because our new adopted dog Lucy is going under heartworm treatment and she has to be at rest, no playing or running for 2 months.

Hopefully we will be having you at our spring garden party and it will be a pleasure to see you all again! I am going to miss your company and the good times this October....

About the garden, what is new with you? are you keeping up with the new season coming up? what is blooming, what are you harvesting? any new projects? please let us know, we all want to hear the news.

Each time that I look at the blooms in the garden, I remember the friends that shared their plants with me, nice memories.

On the harvest news, I am still picking avocados, atemoyas. eggplants, zucchini, arugula. Tomatoes are growing, cold season crops are in.

A lot of meyer lemons and we will be making pies for friends.:)

Silvia

Comments (20)

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A walk around the garden this morning...

Silvia

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia,

I'm sorry you're not going to be having a garden party this fall. I always enjoy your parties so much! I hope your dog gets well soon though and I'm looking forward to seeing you in the spring sometime!

I haven't posted pictures before, but I thought I'd give it a shot. This is the first year that I feel like my garden is starting to look halfway decent. I've been enjoying building up a pretty shade garden of tropical ornamentals (many of which came from your garden party swaps) in the back of my yard. That's my favorite area right now. My papaya are also doing great and I've got more papayas than I can eat currently. My vegetable garden still needs some work though. The only vegetable I've been able to grow successfully through the summer has been red noodle beans.

-Amber

Shade Garden

Butterfly Ginger

Papays

Red Noodle Beans

Miracle Fruits

• apapjim
    10 years ago

Good for you and Lucy Silvia. Fortunately our rescue husky had no parasites. She was a little skinny at 36.5# but now shes up to 44.3, just about right. Have a good fall and we'll see you in the spring.

Papa Jim

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Your rescue dog is very cute, best of health to her. I am sorry I won't get to see your lovely yard. I have enjoyed reading posts about the garden parties, but have not been to one.
    I could host a garden party if people are interested. I have started clippings of things and my husband wants to reclaim the patio and I promised by the end of October I would have homes for the plants.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi AmberB

Your shade garden is coming along beautiful! keep up the good work. I also have some plants that remind me of you.:)
    I need to have some shade one day for the gingers, for now I only have a few.
    Hope to see you next spring!

The flowers on the turmeric last a long time

Hi Papa Jim

Your husky rescue looks healthy and beautiful! I am sure that is getting the best care from you.
    I will be so happy to see you and wife in the spring!

Soon we will have pole beans, a big part of my dogs diet is a lot of vegetables but Lucy has to learn to like them like my other dogs.

Hi Morningloree

Thank you and I really hope to see you in the spring, the parties are a lot of fun for all of us. I have learn so much meeting all sorts of different gardeners friends.

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Silvia - Sorry to hear that you will not be having a fall garden party. I was so looking forward to it. I didn't make the last one so I was going to be sure to attend this one (if it happened). Your yard is looking so wonderful. Best of luck with your new dog. :)

Amber - You have a very lovely flower garden. It looks very nice.

Papa Jim - Gorgeous husky. My daughter had one a few years back. They are a good looking breed.

Christine

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Christine, we are going to miss seen all the garden friends this time of the year, I was so looking to have the party but next spring I hope that is better than ever!

My new hibiscus dinner plate blooms

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia
    So sad to have your party canceled this fall, but happy that Lucy will be rested and heartworm-free. I love all your pictures.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the party at Morningloree aka Dawn's place this fall?

How generous of you, Dawn! I hope everyone is as interested in this idea as I am!

So, Silvia, you'd still be able to see all your gardening friends and we'd get to satisfy our plant-swap-yearnings . . .I've been getting them a lot lately.

Susie

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Silvia, I am so sorry to hear of Lucy's problem. Do they still treat the heartworms with 4 shots of arsenic? Years ago we rescued a German shepherd who had them and that's what was the treatment. It made him very sick, but he did survive it.

Dawn, where are you located? There are so many people I'd love to see again, if possible.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Susie, I am going to miss everyone this fall one of the reasons being that my nephew is here and other one being Lucy. After adopting her we came to realize the big problem of the dogs not being adopted and getting eutanized, completely perfect good dogs that can go to any family. Cheryl my daughter is very active now volunteering to save the dogs, she goes to events, take pictures of them, walks them, anything that can help...there is a lot of need! She is in one of the events now in downtown by the lake.

Hi Kathy, I don't think arsenic is in the medicine now, the good thing is that is just in the beginning so there is 90% cure if not a 100%.

Silvia

• locteach
    10 years ago

Awww Silvia - sorry to hear about your dog. I will miss seeing you and others.

My veggie garden is sad looking. I am going out this afternoon to pull up most of it and start again. There are a few blooming and booming treasures but I have to do better. Kind Regards, Laurie

• User
    10 years ago

Was looking forward to seeing you and W and your extended family. Nice to be around well behaved dogs after living with Walli, Sadi and Gator everyday. Spring sounds good, been a weird summer. Didn't go crazy starting stuff. Sure your newbie will be fine with the good stuff from the garden you give them. Your garden looks incredible as usual! M&J

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I am located in Lake Mary. I started quite a few plants in anticipation, I have Cinnamon Basil, Siam Queen Basil, Red Rubin, Pumpkin Tree, Easter Egg Tree, Yellow Cestrum, Tapestry Vine, Bamboo Orchid, and Crucifix Orchid, Broken Colors 4 'o'clock, Mona Lavender, Vietnamese Hollyhocks, some Dwarf Poinciana Trees, white flowered Duranta, and Pilea Mollis. I promised my husband he could have the patio back by the end of October or beginning of November. If people still wanted to get together, we could shoot for end of October or beginning of November. I have to admit, I was looking forward to seeing Sylvia's yard, though. I really admire the care and volunteer work for rescue dogs. I have a rescue cat, I found him after hurricane Charlie, didn't think he would make it, but he is my best buddy to this day.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Keep me posted on the date and I will try to make it. :o)

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laurie

We will see you in spring...you will be busy cleaning up the garden and starting the new one for the fall.

Hi M&J

Mark, I see you in my garden everyday! you and Judy have introduced me to so many plants that I didn't even know they existed, thank you and I am going to miss you this fall but I am looking forward to the spring, just like you said it has been a weird summer and too hot for too long.
    Thank you for your compliments on my dogs, you are truly an animal lover and me too, my pets are like a members of the family. When you meet Lucy, you are going to find out she is one of the sweetest dogs and she has been terrible abused by whoever owned her before, but now I am going to make it up to her and give her a good life.
    Please keep showing us pictures of your gorgeous garden, it is a plant education for me and I am sure other gardeners like me, I miss your postings!

Morningloree

I wish you the best in your next get together! and really hope to meet you at the spring party at my humble garden.

Silvia

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for the poor girl. As poorly treated as my rescues were, they escaped heart worm. It is not an easy cure, nor is it inexpensive. Maybe the heart-worms are why she was abandoned in the first place. I was hoping to see her this fall and sit down with her and makes friends, but I can wait.

She will be in our thoughts. Let us all know how she does.

The avocado is not doing well. I am afraid that I will loose it, but still have my fingers crossed.

Larry

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

As I said in the above post the treatment used to be 4 injections of arsenic and it killed the worms in the heart, and maybe the dog as well. Then my dog was on meds for a year to kill the larva in the blood stream. It was very hard on him, but he did survive it. I'll keep my fingers crossed it works well for your girl.

• bradisha
    10 years ago

Hi Sylvia, beautiful pictures, I am so sorry about Lucy hope she will be ok. I will certainly miss the excitement for your Fall garden party and all the postings from the garden party group with updates on what plant or food they will bring. It always gets me in the festive mood. even though I never was able to attend I looked forward to the posting leading up to and the wonderful photos after the event. Hopefully I will be in Florida for the next garden party now that I am retired, LOL
    Bradisha

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to remind everyone to get your dog their heart worm shots each 6 months. Here in Florida they are a must.

Happy gardening everyone,
    Luther

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Larry

We will miss you this fall! But we will make sure that we get our spring party to see all our friends. We had so many blueberry pies, banana breads and other things made for this time.

When Lucy when to the animal services tested negative for heart worm, the vet said that in the beginning that happen, so she really is on time to be cured, she already went to the first treatment and the second is at the end of the month. She is also taking antibiotics now. She looks good and happy, she is only upset when she goes to the vet for a treatment because they keep her under observation for the day.

Sorry to hear about the avocado...this summer has been very hot. Larry we hope to see you this spring but then Lucy should have a full recovery.

Thank you Kathy, and I hope that now the treatment is better and used different meds, the vet was very optimistic because we catch the disease in the beginning.

Hi Bradisha

Thank you for all the positive things that you said about Lucy, the garden and the parties. I will be so happy to meet you and one day maybe you can come for the garden party, they are so much fun! It is always a pleasure to see your beautiful garden, please keep posting!

Hi Luther

Thank you for your very thoughtful caption at this time where Lucy need all the support that she can get.
    I didn't know that there are heart worm shots, my healthy dogs are on a monthly medicine and I never miss that.

Silvia