Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant Satsuma (Citrus) in Florida

Posted by lrogersjr 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 9:27

I have forever wanted a Satsuma tree (its in the Mandarin / Tangerine family). I recently found one and purchased it. It's roughly 3' feet tall. Does anyone have any info or ideas if it is Ok to plant it at this time of year? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant Satsuma (Citrus) in Florida

How far north into zone 9 are you? If you are in zone 9b then you probably would be fine planting it. Satsumas are more cold hardy than most oranges that's why they are more popular in the more northern parts of zone 9. If you don't want to take any chances then pot it up to a larger pot and keep it in a warm place, such as a garage, during freezing nights. Then plant it during the end of Feb. or early March next spring. If you plant it now then be sure to protect it when the temps. dip below freezing. The tree will become more cold hardy as it grows larger.

Christine

o

Thanks for the info Christine - I'm in zone 9 near Tampa. I'll probably plant it and just protect it and hope for the best.

o

Yeah, I would plant it now in the Tampa area.

o

The nice thing about citrus planted in ground in Florida , is that it is OK to plant them at almost any time of the year . Fall is a wonderful time to plant trees of any kind .
Do not fertilize any citrus until the Spring .
Do not add anything to the soil . Dig a hole and use the same soil to fill the hole .
Plant higher as opposed to lower .
Water , water , water . Water frequently for one entire year .
Do not prune any tree after planting .
I have older Satsuma trees . They are the first to bear fruit and everyone's favorite . They used to be called zipper tangerines . The trees are somewhat smaller than other citrus and have alternate bearing years . Last year they produced a large crop - this year minor . Enjoy your new tree !
Here is one of many helpful links on citrus :

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Guide - Young Tree Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here