Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

unknown frog

KaraLynn
15 years ago

During the last really heavy rain we had here I found quite a number of these unknown frogs sitting in the road. They were very passive and didn't struggle at all when I moved them off the street and carried one up to the front porch to get some pictures of it. They didn't look like cuban tree frogs to me but I'd like to see if anyone here can positively identify them for me. That was the first time I'd ever seen any frogs in the area that looked like this.

Comments (13)

• manature
    15 years ago

So cute! Not a CTF at all, in fact, I don't think it's a treefrog. And I think I know where I can find the name for you. They look rather toad-like, don't they? I'm going to my favorite frog site for an ID, if possible.

Marcia

• manature
    15 years ago

Karalynn, I have not found a picture that looks like these guys, so I'm guessing it is a baby whatever it is. I'm posting a link on the Reptiles & Amphibians forum. A lot of those folks are pretty good with froggies. I'm really curious as to what it is.

Marcia

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They ones I saw were between 1" to 1 1/2" long so they weren't babies but like I said I've never seen anything like them before. I couldn't find them in my audabon book either. Thanks for posting the link, Marcia, I'd really like to know what they are as well.

• manature
    15 years ago

Baby (or partially grown) toads are about that size, Karalynn, but I really haven't a clue. I can't wait to see if someone ID's them for us. After I got through posting over there, I had to read all the recent Snake ID requests, etc. Those guys REALLY know their herps!

Marcia

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I'm taking a guess here, maybe a baby bull frog?

• frogpatch
    15 years ago

My name does not mean I am a frog expert. It is my website which is green. That frog has feet like a bullfrog and similar coloration and would be about the right size for one that has just morphed. I live in Florida and am consntatly finding frogs that are hard to ID. I took one of a gas pump last night. Go figure. Yours seems to still have a trace of its tail. Bullfrogs will travel long distances after rains at times to find a new spot. I once found an adult in my pool 1/4 mile from the nearest body of water. My educated guess is that is a young bullfrog. Go to enature.com to their zip guides. Put in your zip code and 'frogs' and all frogs in Florida will turn up. That will narrow your search

Here is a link that might be useful: Search here for Florida Frogs

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This can't be a bullfrog because we are miles away from any permanent bodies of water. We do have a retention pond across the street that collects water whenever we've had a lot of rain.

After looking through frogpatch's link and then some other sites, I think the ID for this is a Eastern Spadefoot toad (scaphiopus holbrooki).

Here's some additional info I found about them.

"Key Characters: Plump body; vertical pupil; one large, black, elongate digging spade under heel of each hind foot.

Similar Species: American toad, Fowler's toad.

Subspecies: Eastern spadefoot, S. h. holbrookii.

Description: Medium-sized (up to 6 cm SVL) brown or yellow-brown frog, sometimes very dark. Pair of yellowish stripes usually extends from eye down back, converging in middle of back to outline an hourglass. Belly gray to white, without spots. Skin with small warts that may be tipped with red (especially in juveniles). Parotoid gland small, nearly round, and located above tympanum. Male smaller than female. Male has black horny coverings on first two fingers, and a conspicuous dark vocal pouch during breeding season.

Habitat: Forested and open areas, in sandy or loose soils. Breeds, often in large numbers, in temporary pools and flooded fields.

Natural History: An insectivorous species that spends much of life underground, where it burrows rearfirst using spades on hind feet. Nocturnal when above ground. Most often seen at breeding site, during field plowing, under logs and rocks, or on roads after heavy rain. Explosive breeder producing noisy choruses for brief periods following heavy rain from April to September. Breeding call is a series of low-pitched explosive groans. Reproduction adapted to ephemeral waters; eggs hatch in a few days and tadpoles transform in 2-3 weeks.

Status: Occurs in southern counties where, because of its secretive nature and burrowing habits, its abundance may be underestimated."

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern Spadefoot

• manature
    15 years ago

Wow, that bottom picture DOES look a lot like your little guys, Karalynn. I think the bullfrog was an interesting guess, too, as frogs can show up a long way from where you think they might belong. Thanks for offering a guess, frogpatch. I don't know what bullfrogs look like at that stage, but it seems possible. However, as I say, the bottom picture of the eastern spadefoot toad sure is marked in a similar way. I thought it had a toad-like look to it. Perhaps someone else will know for certain?

Marcia

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Karalynn! Thank you for sharing.

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Definitely 100% Eastern Spadefoot (Scaphiopus holbrookii) - a very awesome species!! Often seen in masses crossing roads on rainy nights

• manature
    15 years ago

Thank you, Mikeygraz! It's wonderful to see someone enjoying something native and beautiful! I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of the Cuban Treefrogs, so it's great news that this little guy belongs here.

Karalynn, enjoy your little toads!

Marcia

• tomkaren
    15 years ago

Looks like the little guys that bred in my pond and are all over my homestead.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mikeygraz, thank you for the confirmation!