sugar snaps and snow peas

tommyplyer
10 years ago

I planted sugar snaps in snow peas yesterday did I jumped the gun

Comments (18)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Possibly...

However, I notice that the UF veggie gardening handbook lists Sep. as beginning planting time for Central & South FL

Here is a link that might be useful: UF FL Veggie Gardening Handbook

This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 9:53

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Mine always started to die when it got above 80 degrees. I start mine in January. Thinking of trying to start them in December this year. They always die when they could still be producing.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I've only done snow peas, but I plant them in Jan. They like the cooler temps. I think it said Jan on the package for this area. You are north of me, so maybe you'll be ok. Let us know how you do. :o)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

tommy - Too early?...I hope not because I just planted some peas today. Even though it seems too early, early freezes will take the vines out if started any later than now (in my area).

• tommyplyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christina thank you for your feedback They were so tasty last year I couldn't wait

• tommyplyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christina thank you for your feedback They were so tasty last year I couldn't wait

10 years ago

If the Mr Big peas produce well in the fall weather, I'll let you know.

• stephens02159
    10 years ago

i always go by soil and air temp, its been abnoramlly hot this year so been waiting to plant my peas and carrots, i got my tomatoes, and cukes planted tho.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, it is still quite hot at night. I planted tomatoes and hot pepper and they both have white fly really bad now. It's too hot at night for the tomatoes to set flowers.

10 years ago

My tomatoes are setting, yeah. :)

Planted a 4'x25' patch of different colored carrots last weekend. That's about a week or two later than I usually do. I mixed in mushroom compost to bring the nematode level down.

Christine

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Christine, you are so lucky to be having fruit set. We are still at 81o at night here and I was told that tomatoes won't make flowers when the temps are that hot. Do you agree?

• rene09
    10 years ago

My Everglade tomatoes are full of fruit, also have mini-bell peppers bearing, will have a few Asparagus beans in a few weeks, have bloom.

• saldut
    10 years ago

I just potted up my 'maters and am so disgusted w/spider mites, have to blast the poor things twice a day w/water and next day they are back again, cannot seem to get rid of them and all that water-pressure is doing havoc w/the leaves.. anyone else having this problem? 2 years ago it was the white-fly and now it's the spider-mites, a gal can't win!! LOL, sally

10 years ago

katkin - My summertime night time temps will go down to around 74 degrees by sunrise. They are still at that temp most mornings lately but we are having spurts of drier air. I think that is what is making the difference. Also, the daytime temps are no longer in the 90s. As for fruit set, I have heard from the Plant Doctor, that tomatoes don't set fruit well when the temps are in the 90s. I think that it's the daytime highs that matter more than what the night time temps are. I know that nighttime temps matter a lot for lima beans but I'm not so sure about tomatoes. You are in a warmer zone, so your time is coming - patience!

rene - I've grown some of the everglade tomatoes but they get a lot of black fungal spots. I'm not pleased with them.

Pea update - I just took a walk to check out the garden and I found that the pea vines have just emerged from the ground today. Let's hope for the best.

Christine

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

This year the white fly was awful for me. I didn't have much time for the garden due to another project and the white fly killed off most everything.

10 years ago

katkin - That's sad to hear about your white fly problem. White flies certainly are not what a gardener wants to see in the garden. :(

• keiki
    10 years ago

I don't have much experience wwith sugar or snow peas. I should really find a space and try some this winter.

Our day time temps are still in the low 90's and I have baby tomatoes. I have always heard its the night time temps that need to be below 75. What ever the reason is I am so excited. This is the earliest I have ever put them out and now I am so glad I did. I started red noodle beans a month ago and bush beans 2 weeks ago.

Next month is broccoli and lettuces. You gotta love this time of year.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Keiki, that is what I had heard too and our night temps were still in the 80's. The last two nights were cooler so maybe it's starting to cool off here. White fly has been my problem this year, even the hot peppers had it really bad.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!