Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echobelly

Aaaaargh! Star Fruit!

echobelly
9 years ago

My wife and I purchased a house last spring with a mature Star Fruit tree in the courtyard. It's very beautiful and shades the yard all day. It also has an amazing Staghorn fern growing off it. When we moved in the season was just winding down and we were only able to get a few fruit. Well, the tree is fruiting again, and we're being overwhelmed! Last week I put out a full trash barrel of rotting fruit that had dropped. I have to pick up 3 times a day, or the smell of rotting fruit and fruit flies makes the yard unusable. We sit in the courtyard at night, and watch fruit rats running in the branches. Is there anything I can do in the future to limit its fruit? The branches are hanging to the ground, and it's still covered with flowers, so it looks like it's going to be a long season. The fruit is sweet enough, but not the sweetest. I've offered it to neighbors and they wrinkle their noses. Can I prune the branches that are flowering now? I'm afraid that might set off a spur of new growth and buds. Any advice would be helpful, and anyone living in the Venice area that would like Star Fruit, let me know!

Comments (9)

• keiki
    9 years ago

Why not take the excess fruit to a food bank. I did that one year with my mangos and they were thrilled to have the fresh fruit.

• echobelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Keiki, that's a great idea. Unfortunately most of the fruit is at the top of the tree and unreachable. The fruit that's causing the problems are the ones that drop into the courtyard, they all are half-eaten by the rats (the tree seems to drop damaged fruit, it's rare that I pick up a good one) or damaged when they hit the ground.

• laura1
    9 years ago

Could you top it? Take the height down so that you will be able to reach the majority of the fruit. If you can not do it yourself maybe you could hire someone.

Yep only so much starfruit you can eat...

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

We use a pole picker for fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: pole fruit picker

• theoj
    9 years ago

The long pole picker doesn't work because of all the small branches that are in the way. I call my Carimbola a 'terrorist tree'-- and then I mulch with starfruit. You can't top the tree, it is too tall and strong. Cut it back, trim it, scalp it; and it will just grow back. I trim off the branches under the tree that I can reach and the next rain, it just grows back.
    Also, it is a nice tree, gives good shade in the summer.
    With the fallen fruit, my back yard smells like wine. (Have you thought about making wine?)
    theo

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    9 years ago

For extra good star fruit it makes a lovely jam. There is one tree near a power line that was dramatically wedge topped (it lost two-thirds of the the foliage in a wedge shape around the lines) that is still fairly productive and casts shade on the house.

• theoj
    9 years ago

In my city we can call and they will send someone to put rat poison out. This is a free service and is successful, and oh yes, I need to do that again.
    theo

• saldut
    9 years ago

I was overrun w/rats and went to HD and bought bait-traps, and placed them around the yard.... within the week they had all been emptied of bait! They are now on the re-load and we'll see how much they eat this time.... I sure hope they are as good as the label says! LOL, sally

• echobelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I don't want to use rat traps, as I have two dogs. It's a temporary solutions anyway. We've gotten used to having rats in the tree while we sit outside at night (I'm surprised how brave they are) I just don't like them living in my plumbing vents.
    I do have a pole picker, but it does get tangled in the thick branches.
    If anyone lives in the Venice area and would like to pick star fruit to their hearts content, let me know!